Do Hunting Range Finders Work for Golf? an Expert’s Talk
- Robert Stevens
Golfers want golf rangefinders and hunters, archery/ hunting rangefinders. That’s a simple rule! What if you love both sports? Should you then buy separate devices? It’s a good idea. But you can’t deny the potential pain of the cost. How about one device for two sports? Better, of course! Here, one question arises. Do hunting range finders work for golf? Yes, but you need to know something. In this article, I’ll explain the whole point of buying combination golf and hunting rangefinder plus the considerable factors.
Read This, First!
Golf rangefinders put the focus on your closest target and acquire its pin from all other background objects. Bushnell has dubbed the mechanism ‘Pinseeker’ while Leupold has introduced ‘Pinhunter’. So, you see the name of this technology varies from brand to brand with the core function being completely identical. On the other hand, rangefinders come in separate variants for archery, target shooting, rifle hunting, etc.
Frankly speaking, choosing from either of the two (hunting and golfing units) isn’t very tricky. But, there’s a lot of technicalities involved as you expect the benefits of both worlds but want to pay for one. Since the purpose of this article is to help you, I’m simplifying the whole thing.
Do Hunting Range Finders Work for Golf?
As I answered above, you need to understand specific factors to get the essence of my reply. In short, a hunting rangefinder works for golf if it meets the following conditions.
1. Target Modes
It’s what makes a big difference.
First Target for golfing…
Distant Target for hunting…
So, you see two different priority modes are designed exclusively for these two sports.
- Hunting rangefinders ignore nearest objects (both animate and inanimate) like trees, animals, bushes, and others. It aims at the distant objects, so hunters find their targets lying at a distance.
- Contrarily, a golf rangefinder ignores any distant object (both animate and inanimate objects) like trees and fellow golfers. It seeks and discovers the nearest pin (object) to help users locate their target.
Therefore, CONDITION #1 is that your rangefinder should incorporate both the distant and nearest target modes.
2. Yardage Calculations
It’s quite a condition that any device, be it for hunting or golfing, should meet.
- Hunting rangefinders need to have reflective properties to offer readings for up to 1000 yards including the target located anywhere within the reflectivity readings.
- However, a decent unit should be able to overcome typical difficulties like a heat mirage, changing weather patterns, presence of non-reflective surfaces, etc. while offering distance readings.
- Golf gadgets offer distance reading for up to 600 yards including anywhere from 150 to 400 yards to the flag.
Therefore, CONDITION #2 dictates that your rangefinder offers reflective readings for at least 600-700 yards.
- HAVE FUN: Recommended play: Each puts the ball 3 times in a row, the highest number of playing cards is the winner. In addition, you can also design the game rules yourself
- ARTIFICIAL GRASS: As a professional manufacturer, our golf putting mats are made of high-quality grass silk, which is dense and is closer to the real lawn. It can bring you a realistic putting experience
- PORTABLE & WASHABLE DESIGN: The golf mat is light-weight, small storage space, can be rolled up for storage, and can be washed
- PERFECT GIFT: Perfect gift to all beginners or experienced golf lover
- OCCASIONS: Practice golf from the comfort of your home, office, backyard, or anywhere else with our putting green. Simply open the indoor golf putting mat & you have a fully functional golfing area
3. Angle Compensatio
Let me tell you why it’s a crucial subject to think about.
Assume that you got your target ranged at roughly 350 yards. But, the reality is the target might not be exactly at 350 yards from your location. The number 350 helps you get how much you need to compensate for the shot, but it doesn’t literally tell you what your shooting angle should be.
Did you ever hear of horizontal distance? It’s the thing that helps the hunter with the aiming process. If the angle and/or distance to the target changes by any means, the actual gap between horizontal distance and the line of sight changes (typically becomes wider than before). Here comes the nicety of an angle-compensating rangefinder.
This leads you to CONDITION #3 that your rangefinder must offer horizontal distance readings and include angle compensation features to help you with golfing and hunting.
Now is the time for some physical properties! Since you’ll be using your device in a wide variety of circumstances and more frequently than once/twice a week, it has to be compact, weatherproof, durable, and able to take the daily wear and tear. In addition, I want to talk about another thing, the display…While many golfers/hunters choose LEDs, I suggest you should pick it with caution.
So, CONDITION #4 is that you choose an LCD display with bright backlight. I know it’s not easy to find such a favorable hybrid. You should be proactive to find one since LEDs might deprive you of clear readings on a thrilling hunt during the darkness of the evening. But, LCDs won’t, plus you can enjoy using the device while playing golf under a sunny sky since there’s the backlight to help you.
I’m Sorry to Say…
A combination of golf and hunting rangefinder might not be able to give you everything that a golf and hunting rangefinder would offer combinedly.
Golf rangefinders, especially the advanced ones offer simple reticles, club suggestions, short distance readings, swing rate measurements, etc. Hunting rangefinders offer ballistic data, extended yardage, advanced reticles, camouflage covers, etc.
In practice, you may not get the most of a separate hunting or golfing rangefinder. However, the cost, diverse technicalities of separate devices, and hassles to carry both devices are the reasons many hunters cum golfers rely on a combination. I hope I’ve made my points clear! Feel free to write to me for further questions or any suggestion!
- Slope feature measures angle of incline/decline and automatically calculates slope adjusted distance
- 6x magnification; range 5-1000 yards with +/- 1 yard accuracy
- Pin acquisition technology (P.A.T.) quickly locks onto the pin from up to 300 yards away
- Exclusive BIRDIE feature delivers audible "chirp" to confirm distance acquisition to flagstick
- Scan functionality allows golfers to acquire distances to multiple targets at once
- WIDE DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS for THIS SPECIAL TIME - Except an outstanding rangefinder for avid golfer, newbie golfer and hunting enthusiast like usual, and now it's also an excellent choice for home yard outdoor little game toy under this special timing. 6x Clear magnification makes it could be used for single-tube binoculars for kids. Great accuracy, multiple and interesting functions let this rangefinder more valuable than ever.
- GOLF/HUNTING RANGEFINDER - Come with 3 Modes, Normally Scan Mode, this mode can be used to range measurement of all items within the scope of application(5-650 Yard). Golf Mode, this mode design for golf sports specifically, pin-seek(150 Yard),flag-lock(300 Yard), JOLT Technology, Slope Distance Correction. Speed Modes, Measuring Range of Speed: 20-300km/h, this mode ideal for the hunting or other outdoor sports
- EXCELLENT GOLF MODE - This newest GS03 Golf Rangefinder equipped with the most advanced golf rangefinder technology. Pin-seeking and flag-lock tech let you know the exact distance to swing. And when you lock to the target, pin, flag or anything else, the JOLT tech would vibrate to remind you, and the data will appear in front of your eyes.clearly. At least but not last, the very helpful Slope Distance Correction function, the SDC function would help you swing in the right distance
- EASY TO USE - Fast and accurate measurement with 1 yard accuracy, one button meter and yard switching, on button mode switching. Only 184g nets weight, and portable small mini size: 106 x 40 x 71mm(L x W x H), very convenient to carry with strap and after-use storage with small waterproof pouch. Come with full packing: pouch, strap, clean cloth, operation manual
- 100% RELIABLE AFTER-SERVICE - provides outstanding pre/after customer service, contact us if you got any questions, we will reply to you within 24 hours.As a brand seller, we’re full of confidence in our products, also we provide a one-year warranty.