Best Lighted Nocks (2020): Premium Super Bright Models With Sturdy Construction, Long-Lasting Battery Backup & A Wide Color Range—Fully Tested & Reviewed
- Carolina Pina
Putting your archery skills to hunting is no ordinary ballgame. Lighted nocks are pretty much important here as many game animals surface under the cover of darkness. For your hunt to be successful, lighted nocks play a huge role.
Hunting with bows and arrows is an art. You can take your bow hunting skill to a whole another level with the best lighted nocks that’ll help you track the arrow flight, see where your arrows hit, and find the arrows in dark after the shot.
The RangerExpert team reviewed the finest illuminated nocks here so you can easily find the perfect match. Check out our reviewed nocks!
What You Will Get Here
- Best Lighted Nocks Comparison Chart (Updated 2020)
- Lighted Nocks - A Comprehensive Buying Guide
- Lighted Nocks – Pros & Cons
- How to Use the Best Lighted Nock for Bow Hunting?
- Our Top 5 Product List
- Best Overall: Nockturnal-S Lighted Nock
- Great Value for the Money: XHYCKJ 6PCS S Led Lighted Nocks
- Long-Lasting Choice: Nockturnal-GT Lights
- Nockturnal Fit Universal Size Green Lighted Arrow Archery Nocks
- Lumenok GT Nock (3-Pack)
- Other Tested Products
- A Word from RangerExpert
Best Lighted Nocks Comparison Chart (Updated 2020)
Nockturnal-S Lighted NockRead Full Review
XHYCKJ 6PCS S Led Lighted NocksRead Full Review
Nockturnal-GT LightsRead Full Review
Nockturnal Fit Universal Size Green Lighted Arrow Archery NocksRead Full Review
Lumenok GT Nock (3-Pack)Read Full Review
Lighted Nocks - A Comprehensive Buying Guide
There are two makers of lighted nocks- Nockturnal and Lumenok. These nocks are shockproof and water-resistant and are easily the most durable lighted rockets going around. They are designed, tested, and proven for 100% reliability.
The sizes of lighted nocks are kind of confusing. The naming is G, F, X, A, H, S, and GT.
- G nocks: .166in
- F nocks: .166in
- X nocks: .204in
- A nocks: .204in
- H nocks: .234in
- H.E. nocks: .234in
- S nocks: .244in
- GT nocks: .246in
Measure the diameter of the arrow shaft and compare it with the above sizes. Go for the closest fit.
Below is a sample size chart for all Lumenok brand arrows.
The two factors that matter in archery are accuracy and shot placement. This need introduced the development of the lighted nock. You want to practice with nocks to get a good feel before using them in the field. A lit nock allows you to follow the trajectory. You can hone your skills appreciably during these practice sessions.
Most importantly, every arrow in your quiver has inherent flight characteristics. By sticking to tested lighted nock arrows you can eliminate the errors from being carried out when hunting. It is a valuable tool in your arsenal as retrieval is made possible.
The color you settle on is important. Visibility and contrast to the surroundings are some aspects to pay attention to. If you have not made a clean kill, a lighted nock will help in following the blood trail. The color you settle on is also crucial here.
4. Green Lighted Nocks
Green nocks are a bad choice when it boils down to a green landscape. Of course, hunting in Midwest scenarios in autumn, green is a distinct choice. Also green is practicably undetectable through night vision gear.
5. Yellow-Lighted Nocks
Yellow nocks are a strict no-no in fall. They defeat the very purpose of being distinctive. Against a green foliage backdrop, yellow is pretty much visible.
6. Red Lighted Nocks
Nocks that are red are best for all backdrops and seasons especially spring and summer.
7. Battery Life and Type
Nocks are “use and dispose of” mostly. A few designs do however allow battery replacement. As to the life of a battery-driven nock, well, 24 hours is about it. There are some that can stretch it to 40 hours like Lumenok nocks. Look for nocks with rechargeable batteries. Don’t forget to switch them off. Figure this out when purchasing as most lit nocks are not easily switched off.
You want to carry around something light easily. So you need to check on the weight ratings for your chosen option. The center of weight should always be center of forward (COF) for that smooth flight path. If the mass and balance are too far back, the arrow will spin midair. Weight is the most important consideration for achieving accuracy. Ideally, it should be at the center.
On average, lighted nocks weigh anything between 8 to 16 grains. Again this can vary from maker to maker and can go up to as much as 25 grains.
Many local laws forbid the use of lighted nocks. State laws vary in their statutes regarding the use of lighted nocks. They are illegal by default as they are electronic in nature. The laws have unfortunately not been updated. The other side is that legislation cannot favor hunters. Read up to avoid buying something you can’t use.
10. Skill level and control
Getting familiar with the features of your nock is a must-do. Your skill level matters here. Keep it light and basic. Do not go for something complicated.
11. Ease of use
It takes less than 60 seconds to string a nock. Don’t rush through the process for fear of not triggering on the switch. The entire purpose is defeated. And one more thing, make sure the nock is of the correct size.
Lighted Nocks – Pros & Cons
Simply put, hunting gets a heck of a lot easier with lighted nocks.
Hunting is best at dawn. Light is poor and it is a bit difficult to spot if you have got your target. The three points that go for them are you can track the flight path of your arrow. If you see any patterns that indicate that the trajectory is not true.
Secondly, your shot placement. A humane kill is accomplished when you hit the heart or lungs whereby your prey is dead right away. On the other hand, a gutshot will not kill outright and you will need to follow the animal and finish it off. The lighted nock helps out here.
Lighted nocks are not legal in all states. You want to look up this for your hunting area.
Bowhunters need to be careful not to push too hard when nocking their archery arrows as they could turn the light on. We keep urging practice before actually going on the field so that you get used to the sensitivity
How to Use the Best Lighted Nock for Bow Hunting?
- The first step is to attach the lighted nock on the arrow. Confirm that the joints are secure and tight.
- Shoot the arrow. The light gets activated by a trip switch. Ultimately, you can manually turn the light on
- Monitor the trajectory of the arrow, whether it has struck your target. If not retrieve it.
- Switch it off till such time you are ready for your next shot.
- In case you have hit the prey but could not manage a clean kill, you can follow the lit nock to locate your wounded prey and finish it.
Our Top 5 Product List
Nockturnal is a leading manufacturer of lighted nocks. The Nockturnal-S is designed to advance archery prowess in low light conditions.
The switch is triggered by piston-driven contact that is fail-proof. These nocks are both waterproof and shock-resistant. The beauty of the Nockturnal-S lies in its wide range of compatibility with bolts of differing sizes.
- Honestly, we were a bit taken aback by the life of the battery. Could be more enhanced for a pricy nock. But we do agree that this is fair as it can be switched off.
- We quite liked the linear switch design which is truly foolproof.
- We specifically tried this nock for its waterproof qualities. We went bowfishing with it and guess what- we got a nice, fat trout and it passed the test with flying colors.
- Another facet we give full marks for is the super bright LEDs.
- At 25 grains we were expecting some imbalance but the arrow speed was fast.
- This nock is pretty decent not only for location pointing but also for flight accuracy.
|Battery Life||20 hours|
|Bolt Dia.||0.244 in.|
|Color||Red, Green, Blue|
The Nockturnal-S is a game-changer and clearly at the forefront of lighted nocks. Their customer service is pretty amazing. The light emitted is pretty hi-dens, virtually a spotlight. A lighted nock is what you want? Make no mistake, the Nockturnal-S is what you need.
Besides being cheap, XHYCKJ nocks have a huge advantage - they come with a special screwdriver to switch off the battery. This means goodbye to needless tinkering! They are easy to use and have an amazing battery life. This is a 6 nock pack.
- We absolutely approve of this lighted nock. In fact, it is equally good in daylight conditions so far as detection is concerned.
- And we need to mention the staggering 48 hours of battery power.
- We were pretty amazed at the included screwdriver to turn the switch off. A sticky problem no maker bothers helping out with.
- The multi-colored nock is simply groovy. You really need to be blind as a bat to miss this.
|Battery Life||48 hours|
|Bolt Dia.||0.244 in.|
|Color||Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Colorful(7 colors)|
The XYHCKJ has greatly impressed us. It has all the features that one can wish for when out in the field. One of the best lighted nocks for sale, there are 6 nocks in the package.
A trusted nock should perform in all conditions irrespective. From semi-arid desert to lush tropical, both existing in America. This is the time-tested principle of a great nock. It’s a one-piece construction of low-weight. These bolts fly straight whether you use a vertical bow or a horizontal crossbow. The piston-driven switch won’t let you down. Made of plastic, they are shock-and waterproof.
- We were so happy with the simplicity of this nock that can be switched off easily too. No tinkering with knife points needed.
- We absolutely loved the models with strobe lighting effect and that too in dual colors.
- We were a bit disappointed with the intensity of the light that could be brighter. After checking out quite a few, we discovered this was a manufacturing issue because some actually turned out overbright.
- We found the gold tip fitting a unique feature. They need to measure no less than 0.246” inch.
- With single piece construction, it is so easy to use.
|Battery Life||20 hours|
|Bolt Dia.||0.246 in.|
We would rather stand by our choice of Nockturnal as the provider of efficient, well-functioning lighted nocks. At around $30 for a pack of three, it does not get better. So what are you waiting for, elk are around the corner.
The Nockturnal Universal addresses all size and color issues in one shot. The body is of pretty strong polycarbonate construction. It comes in two versions; strobing and non-strobing. The color options cover all bets. This nock can accommodate many sizes as it has adapter collars. Like all of the Nockturnal products, this too is guaranteed to switch on after release.
- We, in our efforts, found that switching off the nock calls for tinkering. The Universal comes with a tool specifically designed to switch off. Great value addition.
- We cannot fully agree that the universal fitting works well for all, or, most sizes. Some sizes that should fit stay, are a wee loose. Stick with X, H, S, GT for the best results.
- We were quite satisfied with the robust construction of this nock.
- This nock pretty much got our attention. The strobe versions are so amazing at 400 times per minute.
- We are pretty clear about standards. The Nockturnal-X is a steady and consistent performer that we love for its nice glow.
- One thing we advise strongly. Please make sure you use the right collar or you will end up breaking the nock. This is what we found out in the course of our trials.
|Battery Life||20 hours|
|Bolt Dia.||Fits X, H, S GT|
|Color (those separated by/ are stroboscopic)||Red/Blue, Red/Green, Pink, Blue, Orange, White|
The Nockturnal Universal is really something extraordinary. But we suggest that archery skills are best achieved with one size. In the field, where speed is called for, a quiver of different sized arrows is a bit to handle. On the flip side, Universal is a terrific tool to practice and arrive at a choice of the size that fits your style.
Lumenok is a trailblazer in the field of lighted nocks. These nocks are simple to use and highly effective easy retrieval features. They are designed particularly with Gold Tip arrows in view. There are no moving parts, only a battery, wire, and the source of light arranged in a circuit. No magnets are involved. It is manufactured from a Signature nock by Bohning. Quite a combo that.
The battery holder is a specially designed high-impact resistant polymeric shell.
- We do like the sheer simplicity of use of the Lumenok GT
- We felt that stringing the arrow could have been smoother.
- A revelation we found using fiberglass shafts. They don’t conduct and hence the light trigger mechanism does not get triggered. It has to be carbon sheathed or else something that conducts without altering the flight path.
- Our other concern is that this nock comes with one color green, which is not that popular.
- What we certainly don’t like is the light turning off midflight. It comes on after a couple of sharp taps. That makes it unreliable.
- Nice touch. They can be turned off but you need to have a Lumenok arrow puller to turn it off by rotating the nock.
|Battery Life||20 hours|
|Bolt Dia.||0.246 in.|
The sheer simplicity and ease of use are what set the Lumenok GT apart. They are a wee bit more expensive than other nocks but well worth the price. Especially when teamed with Gold Tip arrows, you will get your trophy buck for sure.
Other Tested Products
Aside from our shortlisted choices, here’s a list of the other popular brands with their most popular models that you can check out as well -
ProHunter (Afterburn Half Moon Style), Clean-Shot Archery, TenPoint (Omni-Brite 2.0 & Alpha-Brite), Easton (Deep Six), Glorynock, Ravin, Victory, Firenock, Excalibur, Mission (Clean-Shot), Lighting U, Linpeng, CenterPoint Archery, Lzwow, Letszhu, Double Take Archery, Firenock LLC, AMS Bowfishing, and Nufletch.
- 01Nockturnal-X Lighted Archery Nocks for Arrows with .204 Inside Diameter Including Gold Tip Kinetic, Easton, Axis FMJ, Trophy Ridge, and Carbon Impact, HOT and More
- 02Letszhu Lighted Nocks, Automatically LED Archery Arrows Nock 6.20mm/.244” Inside Diameter Illuminated Lighted Archery Nocks for Hunting Shooting
- 03Nockturnal-G Lighted Archery Nocks for Arrows with .165 Inside Diameter Including Victory VAP, Easton Acc, G-UNI and More
- 04Nockturnal Predator Crossbow Lighted Archery Arrow Nocks - 3 Pack
- 05Carbon Express LAUNCHPAD Precision Lighted Nock, Lightweight Universally Compatible Design
- 06E-Arc 6PCS-New S Lighted Nocks for Arrows with .244/6.2mm Inside Diameter Led Lighted Nock Compound Bow Arrow Nock
- 07Lumenok GT Nock (3-Pack), Orange
- 08Carbon Express LAUNCHPAD Crossbolt Lighted Nock
A Word from RangerExpert
Bowhunting is an experience that needs very careful planning for the outfit you go out with. It is an art. You want to decide beforehand whether a lighted nock is going to pull it off for you. If the answer is yes, do invest in a decent nock. The major brands will give you a good deal. Whenever you practice honing your archery skills, make sure you use a nock, one with a run-out battery perhaps so that you stay tuned to the flight behavior.
Please dispose of with care.
All the best, keep the environment clean and good luck.
1. Do lighted nocks affect accuracy?
Ans: Accuracy of lighted nocks is affected very little to none. Longer distances will affect accuracy due to wind, gravity, and external forces. In general, an inch at 30 yards at best would be the deviation.
2. What size Nockturnal lighted nocks should one buy?
Ans: Nocturnal too has a sizing chart like the one shown for Lumenok nocks.
3. How long do lighted nocks stay lit?
Ans: Around 24 hours on average. Some of the top-rated ones even last for 35-40 hours. However, this varies according to the maker.
4. How Does a Lighted Nock Work?
Ans: The action of releasing the arrow trips a switch that completes the illumination circuit. The light thereafter stays on till the battery is drained.
5. What color of lighted nock is the best?
Ans: Red is undoubtedly the first choice. The visibility of red nocks is not affected by season changes even in fall.
6. How to Turn Off Lighted Nocks?
Ans: Unfortunately, lighted nocks don’t come with an “off” switch until you go for a DIY option. You have to do it manually using a special tool (if you have one), field point, knife tip, even a gem clip, or some such device into a designated hole on the side of the nock to physically turn it off. There are a number of YouTube vids on this. Check them out.
7. Can you reuse lighted nocks?
Ans: Almost all lighted nocks are powered by lithium cells. These are seldom replaceable. You can turn them off between hunting trips to preserve battery life.
8. What are the best materials to use to make the lighted nocks?
Ans: Lighted nocks are made of clear plastic or a carbonate-based compound. The important point is that visibility should be clear and have good maneuverability. Secondly, the effort required should be reasonable.