Top 10 Best Gun Cleaning Kit (2019) Reviews & Buyer’s Guide
- Carolina Rasanen
A gun is like a woman. You should know how to hold her! Additionally, she needs maintenance and lots of care. As per my personal experience, a gun requires a lot of care and attention. A rusted gun is of no use to an individual because there is always a chance that it might stop working when you need it the most.
In today's world, anything can happen and safety comes first. I live in a big city and as a woman, I felt unsafe in the big bad world where burglary and rapes have become a common phenomenon. Even in the bright daylight, I feel unsafe and that's precisely why I bought a gun to keep myself safe from the wolves in the city. However, your job does not end after buying your first gun! I realized that to be safe and fearless, I would need to take proper care of my gun and clean it from time to time. You need to keep it sparkling clean from outside and the inside. Anybody who possesses it needs to invest in the best gun cleaning kit.
The question is - Which is the best gun cleaner? Here's a post in which I along with some of my buddies have tried to cover all the important pointers that you must know before investing in a gun cleaner. If you wish to learn more about the best products in the market, this post covers it all. Keep reading!
What You Will Get Here
- Why do you need a Gun Cleaning Kit?
- The Most Common Components of a Gun Cleaning Kit
- How did we pick the best gun cleaning kit for you?
- What to look for in the best gun cleaning kit?
- Our Top 10 Gun Cleaning Kit for Prospective Buyers
- Top of the list : GLORYFIRE Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
- Runner Up : Otis Tactical Cleaning System- Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun
- Best Portable & Compact : Otis Technology .223cal/5.56mm Cleaning System
- Best for Shotgun & Rifle's Bore : Gun Cleaning Kits by Sage &Braker
- Best For Budget : Hoppe's No. 9 Deluxe Gun Cleaning Kit
- Advanced Choice : Otis Technology The Otis Elite
- List of 4 other Gun Cleaning Kit We Reviewed
- List of Other Products We Tested
- What to clean and why need proper cleaning?
- Using Tips and Tricks
Why do you need a Gun Cleaning Kit?
If you ask me, the ammunition will not work properly if you neglect it. Without proper lubrication, your gun is never going to work smoothly. Cleaning the ammunition should be a natural feeling, right?
Why should you clean anything at all? Everything in this world needs maintenance. How about NOT cleaning your home for days? I am not sure about the correct answer to this question but ammunition requires maintenance. Just like you clean everything else in your home, office or surroundings, you need to take special care of the equipment.
Even if you have the most expensive gun in your locker, you will find it filled with dust, residue, and rust! This is a big NO because even the best gun in the market can stop working without any maintenance. I do not work for the Mafia or as a cop and frankly speaking, my gun rests in the locker for months. It does not matter whether you are using it regularly or not, keeping it in the locker for months without cleaning it can get dusted and filled with dirt. In fact, it can get rusted very soon!
I have seen people who did not take good care of their gun and even though it did not stop functioning the accuracy got compromised.
Here's what dirty weapon could do
- It can be dangerous
- It will not function properly
- Accuracy will be compromised
- It reduces the life span of the ammunition
Spending a few dollars IS a good idea in this case as it is better than buying a new and expensive gun. We all know that ammunition costs nearly a fortune! Even if it does not cost a fortune, it is considered to be an expensive investment. Even the top gun cleaning kit fits your budget and does not burn a hole in your pocket.
The Most Common Components of a Gun Cleaning Kit
What would you find in a cleaning kit? As a novice, I was unaware of this and now that I own a kit that does my gun every now and then, I can educate people around me. Not everyone has the knowledge about these kits and that is precisely why you need to understand as to what you can find inside the gun cleaning box.
In order to keep the firearm in immaculate condition, the kit will include the following components. We have briefly described what each of the components does for the ammunition.
- Bore cleaning brush – The bore cleaning brush comes in Nylon and Bronze. These brushes are used for removing or cleaning up the carbon buildup. If you want the best brush on the market, opt for the bronze one. However, do not use it for the sensitive parts because there is a special brush for that. The Nylon brush is commonly used for the sensitive parts of the ammunition. The Nylon brushes can easily clean up the carved areas of the firearm.
- Cleaning jag – These are nickel or bronze plated jags. You need to ensure that all the solvent is cleaned up because once it gets dried up, it will easily rust.
- Swabs – A good kit will include cleaning swabs as well. It is required for detailed cleaning of the ammunition. The majority of the people use their wife’s beauty products cabinet. Swabs used for cleaning ears or removing makeup can come handy in this case. If the kit comes with swabs then it is a great deal. If not, then you know what to use!
- Lubricating Oil – For smoother functioning, the kit will have a lubricating oil to keep it running! A good lubricant will keep the components corrosion-free.
- Solvent – The kit will contain a solvent which is used for cleaning, protecting and lubricating the firearm. However, there are different types of solvents! Often referred to as CLP: Cleaning, Lubricating, and Protecting, this is an important part of the kit. Since solvents are an integral part of cleaning the ammunition, you can buy the best gun cleaning solvent from the store near you or even order it online. Read up about the best solvents before purchasing the best one in the market.
- The case – This is where one can keep all the tools from the kit. Although it does not do much for the firearm, keeping all the tools together is necessary.
- Patches – These cleaning patches are available in different types of fabrics. Some could be thin while others can be a little thicker. These are dipped in the cleaning solvent and are placed at the end of the patch holder or cleaning jag.
- Cleaning rod – This is probably the most important tool in the kit. The shape, material, and size can differ. However, one can attach swabs, patches, and brushes on this to clean the parts of the gun.
- Slotted patch holder – Some kits do not provide a jag and you would rather find a slotted patch holder. The function is much the same as that of a cleaning jag. It will help in removing the solvent from the firearm.
A top rated gun cleaning kit will have all the above-mentioned tools. These makeup as the necessary components of the box.
How did we pick the best gun cleaning kit for you?
If you are looking for the best gun cleaning kit, I have already explained as to what it consists of and why you need it. Before investing in a product, you want to know how one can claim that these are the best products for prospective buyers!
Let me spend a little bit time explaining how we picked the best one for you! When I was choosing the products for the list, my instant thought was to test them before I recommend them. Some practical testing is always necessary because I always want the buyers to buy the best product!
I have skimmed through several reviews of the products and have tried them myself over the years. Since I possess ammunition, I have tried several cleaning products and can assure you that some of them worked well for me while others had their share of disadvantages. After spending 3 long years, researching and using different products, I came up with an apt list which would help you choose the best. It requires a lot of time, patience and hard work to research a different product. In fact, I can tell you that I can proudly say that I should have done a Ph.D. on this subject.
Additionally, my team talked to the ammunition experts, who have been using guns for more than a decade and on the basis of their personal experience, we matched our list with theirs. After examining the product reports and even the features of each of them, I came up with the list of the best ammunition cleaning kits for the prospective users.
Now let me cover another section which is the most important as per me!
What to look for in the best gun cleaning kit?
Now that you are all aware of why you need it, it all boils down to as to what you should look for in the top gun cleaning kit. If you ask me, I would say that this section is the most important to read because you need to be a wise buyer, right?
After extensive research, we came up with this list of points to consider while buying the best kit for gun cleaning. Here's what you need to look for!
Firstly, you need to check the material that is used for creating the tool. The cleaning rod metal should be softer than the metal used for your gun. The best pick would be something which is made with bronze. A carbon fiber rod can work great as well! This is basically used for cleaning the barrel. The bore brushes are available in nylon and bronze.
You need to keep in mind that the kit should have the following:
- Cleaning tools
- Chemical solvent
- Cleaning brushes and other materials
- Cleaning Swabs
- A Case to keep everything organized
- Lubricants or oils to keep the firearm smooth from the inside
When you buy the universal gun cleaning kit, you must check whether they come with a case or not. A case is a vital part because it keeps the accessories handy and organized. If it comes with a case, you can organize all the tools in the case and not lose any of the important accessories which are needed for cleaning.
There are many types of guns and it is best to use a universal gun cleaning kit which is suitable for all. This will help you to save lots of money!
There are a few problems you may encounter which are easily avoidable. Jags might bend or the rods may be too loose. Always read the gun cleaning kit reviews before investing in a product. As a wise buyer, that would help you to determine as to what are the pros and cons of the item for consumption.
While some people are absolutely passionate about their guns and can spend a fortune on a cleaning kit, there are some who would like to invest in a cheap gun cleaning kit. You need to do proper research before buying the best one. The good news is that there are a lot of options in the market and you can opt for a cheaper one as per your budget. Additionally, some tools which are not included in the kit can be easily found in the market such as cotton cleaning swabs. Do not fall for the brand and buy something which would fit the bill and suit your requirements. Paying extra dollars for a brand name is not advisable.
Our Top 10 Gun Cleaning Kit for Prospective Buyers
It is always wise to narrow down the choices because there are thousands of products out there. As a prospective buyer, you would be in a big dilemma as to which product is the ideal one for you. I have been in a similar position and that is precisely why I reviewed the best products for you. These are based on different requirements and budgets too! However, I would suggest you read the above-mentioned points before you compare the products on the list.
Well, let me just put it this way - I want you to buy the best gun cleaning kit for your prized weapon.
If you are looking a universal kit, then GLORYFIRE Universal gun cleaning kit is ideal. It can clean all types of rifles and shotguns which is an additional plus. It is surely a money-saver because you do not have to spend extra dollars on different types of ammunition cleaning tools. Since every gun is not built the same way, it would be wise to buy a universal kit.
As for the product, it comes with a durable plastic case which keeps the tools organized and clean. The product consists of 14 brushes, 12 jags, 9 mops, 3 utility brushes, 4 slotted patch loops, 4 clothes for polishing, 3 adapters (accessory), 3 muzzle guards, and 1 black power jag. In a nutshell, it has everything that a shooter wants in a cleaning bag.
I am pleasantly surprised that this product comes at an appealing price. If you ask me, it is quite a steal and should not be missed. However, buyers would like solvents and lubricants to be added to the package.
I was always conscious about buying a product that is heavy because my job entails traveling to different cities. The overall package weighs 1.2 pounds, which makes it portable enough to carry everywhere you go. If you are a hunter or someone whose job entails the use of the gun, you will be elated as this product does not weigh too much.
The product has received rave reviews and has successfully reached the list of the best gun cleaning kit.
- Shipping weight – 2.1 pounds
- Color – Green
- 49 piece kit with extra accessories
- Product inclusions – fourteen brushes, nine mops, twelve jags (Spear-pointed), one power jag, four patch loops, (slotted), three utility brushes, three adapters, muzzle guards – three, cleaning patches – 50 3×1 1/2″, cleaning patches – 50 3×3″, four clothes for polishing
- Durable plastic case
- Universal kit
I loved that the product is versatile and can clean any type of firearm known to man. Versatility is the USP of this product and most buyers were happy with the comprehensive tools that it comes with. In a nutshell, it consists of all the cleaning tools that you would need. The only thing missing in the product is the oil. You will have to get it separately as this does not include any lube or oil. We personally loved the lightweight plastic case of the product! However, one of the reviewers mentioned that the case could have been heavier. I believe that the lightweight feature is good as it makes the product handy.
Say hello to the runner up of this list. There is a very good and apt reason for why this product made it in the top 10 list and secured #2 position. Overall, the product has received positive reviews on a number of platforms. When a buyer gets this product home, they will certainly be satisfied because it contains everything you need. As I mentioned the accessories that are needed in the box, you would find each of them in the case.
The box contains a handle rod, patch plugs, patches, handle adapters, brushes, short and medium length cables, and lubricant. These are the essential accessories that you need for keeping your guns sparkling clean.
The Otis tactical cleaning system has the ability to clean all types of rifles, shotguns, and pistols. It comes with cotton patches, patch savers and slotted tips. Additionally, the solvent and lubricant now come in a BIO version which means it is not made of nasty chemicals. The accessories are well-packaged in an organized case which you can carry with you! Portability is the key and the efficiency of the tools is spot on! As a buyer, you will be satisfied with the quality of the components in the case.
When I buy a cleaning kit, I look for portability and versatility. Do not shy away from buying this product because it ticks most of the boxes that you require in a good toolbox for cleaning your ammunition. The accessories are made of high-quality material and since we talked about versatility, there are accessories for cleaning all types of guns.
- Universal gun cleaning kit
- Product inclusions – Six brushes – Bronze bore, Small diameter 34″ long cable, Medium diameter 30″ long cable, 4 inches x 4 inches x 2.5 inches case, 3 screw-on patch pullers of varying size, 2 screw-on T handle adapters, 1 tapered T handle rod, 1 Orange chamber flag and bore inspection tool, 1 small tube of BIO cleaner lubricant and protectant, 8-32 threaded rod, 16-12-10 gauge patch plug, 28-20-16 gauge patch plug, Otis patches
- Made in the USA
- The instructional manual is included
If I look at the product as a whole, it is a good purchase. The case keeps all the tools organized and there is enough room for each one of them. Additionally, the product has all the accessories that are needed for cleaning. Some of the reviewers were not happy with the quality of the patches. Rest assured, the brand delivers what it claims!
As a hunter, woman or even in the military or cop service, you keep a gun with you at all times. Sometimes, it rusts in the locker while others do not get the time to clean it up. Now that you are aware of the importance of cleaning a gun, you must ensure that you have a portable and compact kit. If you are always on the go, the Otis Technology cleaning system is worth the price.
This system can clean a typical .223cal/5.56mm rifle efficiently. It comes with 100% cotton patches and a small slotted tip. Everyone requires precise cleaning and that's exactly why this product includes 5.56 chamber brush, end brush, pin punch, rod handles, scraper, bent and straight pick, short AP brush, and locking lug scraper.
Additionally, it comes with an obstruction remover which knocks out snow, mud and all other pollutants. You will also find a bronze bore brush and a special Mongoose swab/brush. The size is marked on the brushes. Before you ask, this product also includes an Otis ultra cleaner.
- 4”x4”x2.5” soft pack case
- Includes a chamber flag, microfiber gun cloth, 0.5 fl.oz. Bio-CLP, instruction manual, .223cal/5.56mm chamber brush, pin punch end brush, locking lug scraper, short AP brush
- Made in the USA
- No non-sense warranty
Otis Technology 0.223cal is meant for rifles but it cleans out the gun efficiently. I personally love the fact that it is compact and portable. There are some beneficial accessories such as the BONE tool and small obstruction remover which helps in removing dirt, snow and even scraping off carbon. The BONE tool is the highlight of this product. Additionally, the package has pretty much everything that you would need for cleaning the ammunition. However, a bore snake should be a part of this box and the patches quality should be worked upon. Overall, it is worth the price!
While every brand tries to create a product with cheap materials, Sage & Braker enters the picture and try to set everything right by using top quality materials. The bore snakes are made with the highest quality material because the brand believes in creating the best products for cleaning the gun.
The whole idea is to make the cleaning process easier and that is precisely why Sage & Braker endorse that rifles and shotguns can be cleaned within a few seconds. They offer a full bronze brush which is detachable. There is a long rope which gives you a deeper and much more efficient cleaning. Sage & Braker believes that firearms are basically an investment. If you have spent your precious money on a firearm, you must clean it with the finest quality accessories.
The product includes a removable buffing rope, full-size bronze brush, 25-inch buffing rope, and stamped brass weight. It is a great break from the traditional cleaning kits! It is modern, useful and portable.
- Style names: .22 cal, .223 cal, 5.56mm, .30 Cal, .303 Cal, .308 Cal and 7.62mm, 7mm, .270 Cal, .284 Cal, .280 Cal, 9mm, .357 Cal, .380 Cal, .38 Cal
- Product inclusions – 25 inch buffing rope, bronze brush, and stamped brass weight.
- Shipping weight in total: 2.4 ounces
I personally loved what the product delivers. The brand has the right intention and they are very responsive with the queries that a buyer has. The real deal is that the bore snakes are made of the best quality material and it also comes with a full bronze brush. Additionally, the customer support is great and you will always get the answer to your queries. The brand claims that you can clean the gun within a few seconds and I will definitely agree with that statement. They have included a CLP which you can spray and clean the gun within a few seconds. Overall, it is a worthy product and buyers must invest in this.
Looking for a product that is used for universal cleaning? The Hoppe's No. 9 deluxe has made it to the top 5. It comes with lubricating oil, which keeps your gun functioning smooth and hassle-free. The good news is that it includes a gun caring guide and a heavy duty wooden box for keeping the tools secure and organized.
It includes a 3 piece rod, 5 phosphor bronze brushes, 4 slotted ends, .30 and .22 caliber rifles, .20 and 12 gauge shotguns and .38 pistols. The brand likes to call it a versatile kit which can help you clean most of the guns available in the market. It comes with a silicone cleaning cloth which makes cleaning easier.
The kit includes a Gun Bore cleaner which is being used since the year 1903. It is a popular pick among those who have a passion for guns. The formula penetrates deeply and cleans efficiently. The lubricating oil included in the package is good for fishing reels and firearms. It will not get expired or dry!
- 26 x 8 x 6 inches ; 2.78 pounds
- Inclusions – 3 piece brass rod,5 phosphor bronze brushes to fit, .22 30 caliber rifles, .38 caliber pistols
- Guide to Gun Care booklet is included
- Hard and solid wooden case
The gun cleaning kit comes in a solid wooden box. I personally love how versatile this product is! It can clean most types of guns with ease. If you are a novice, then this is probably the best bet for you because you are getting a great deal. The price is ideal for what it offers. Some of the patches are too small for certain uses and the cleaning rod section may become loose while cleaning the guns.
With a few disappointments and MANY pros, this product does fall in the Top 10 category and does not fail. It has been made with sturdy materials which is a good sign that it will be durable and will last for long.
A well-organized tool kit which includes everything you would ever need to clean your love. Yes, we called your ammunition YOUR love because the majority of the users consider their ammunition as their child. It is a prized possession and that is precisely why you need to invest in the best gun cleaning kit. The product has received rave reviews on the internet because of its portability and efficiency.
There are 16 firearm-specific bronze brushes included in the package. You will also get 100% cotton patches which measure 2 inches and 3 inches respectively. There are 3 slotted tips in the package with 6 brushes, 3 cables, a bio CLP, and a chamber flag. The first thing you would notice is that everything in the kit is well-organized. It comes with a case which has a place for every tool inside the case.
If breech to muzzle cleaning is on your mind, you would be happy to know that it includes 6 memory flex cables. Otis is a trusted brand and they can never go wrong with the tools that they provide for cleaning!
- 16 bronze bore brushes
- Inclusions – .223cal/5.56mm chamber brush, 6 brushes, 3 cables, Chamber flag, 2” & 3” patches
- Lens tissue spray
- Bio CLP
- Obstruction removers included (large and small)
- Chamber Flag
The product won many hearts but it has its share of cons as well. The instructions given in the package are not clear as the font is too small. The 3-inch rod bends easily which should be fixed by the brand. However, I noticed that it has lens tissue, spray, and brush which is not easily seen or given in other products and packages. It is a brand that you can trust and it does not fail you in any way! I personally love that it has an obstruction remover. It removes dirt, snow, mud and stuck casings.
List of 4 other Gun Cleaning Kit We Reviewed
The compact and portable Real Avid Gun Boss Handgun cleaning kit houses all the accessories you need for cleaning different types of guns. It comes with handgun cleaning rod, 22 ca, 357 magnum, 38 special, 9 mm, 380 acp, 40, and 45 cal phosphor bronze bore brushes and red nylon jags. Moreover, you will get 50 patches with the product along with two durable slotted tips. These are the ideal accessories to make cleaning easier and faster!
In this fast-paced world, you want the quick fix. It is best to invest in a product that gives you every tool to clean all types of guns. It does not matter which gun you have in the locker because this cleaning kit is great for all types.
You would be pleased to know that it comes in a weatherproof case and has a ballistic nylon shell. The product has made it to #7 in our list for the right reasons. The handgun gun cleaning rod reaches 9 inches, which makes deep cleaning easier. Let us take a look at the specifications, pros, and cons to understand whether this product is good for you or not.
- Weatherproof travel case
- Inclusions – Red nylon jag – .45 Cal and .40 Cal, T-handle, 2 Section Rod System, .22 Cal, .40 and .45 Phosphor bronze brush, 25 3 inches x 3 inches Gun cleaning patches, 25 1.5 inches x 3 inches gun cleaning patches
- Slotted tips – 2
When it comes to summarizing the pros and cons of the product, it becomes difficult because I want to recommend the best to the buyers. As per some reviewers, the price seemed high and I seem to agree to that. However, it is cheaper as compared to other products that you find in the market. Another aspect that needs improvement is that it is great for barrel cleaning. I do hope that it was better for the overall cleaning of the gun. Overall, it is a satisfactory product and comes with a great weather-proof case. It will help you to clean most types of guns and the gun cleaning rod is 9 inches, which makes it easy to deep clean the gun.
The all-in-one kit has 28 pieces of cleaning essentials that you would require to clean up shotguns, rifles, and pistols. It contains 6 rods out of which 3 are stainless steel shotgun rods and three other pieces of stainless steel rifle rods. When there is variety, it becomes easier to clean different types of guns.
Additionally, you can find 10 brushes of different sizes. When it is about cleaning the rifle, you would need different size brushes to keep it clean and sparkling. Some brushes may not be reachable inside the deepest parts of the gun and that's why the product includes 10 brushes of different sizes. It also includes 5 cotton brushes and a durable carrying case.
Although the case does not have any utility it makes the product portable. Additionally, the case should have some extra room for all the accessories. There is no doubt that the case is durable and helps you to keep everything in an organized manner but space could be restricted.
- Aluminum carrying case
- 28 piece cleaning essentials
- All-in-one universal cleaning kit
- Inclusions – 3 shotgun rods, 3 slotted tips, Handle adaptor for rods – 1.7cal, Aluminum accessory adaptor – 2, 17-45cal. rods, 12ga. Brush, 28ga. Brush, 410 Brush, Brush – 45 cal, 40 cal. Brush, 38 cal. 9mm brush, 17 cal. Brush, 30 cal. Brush, 280 cal. Brush, 22 cal. Brush, 12 ga. Mop, 28 ga. mop, 410 mop, 357/38 cal. 9mm mop, 22 cal. mop, patch set
The product comes at a great price and includes 28 pieces which can clean most of the rifles and shotguns. I personally loved the product for its efficiency, portability, and variety. When I look for the best cleaning kit, I closely look at the tools it offers. It comes in a good and sturdy case which keeps all the tools secure. Is it worth the price you pay for? The answer is a resounding YES!
The Ultimate Gun cleaning has 65 pieces in them which are all made to make the cleaning process easier. As you open the box, you will be surprised to see the best mops, bore brushes, patches, and jags. The box is not big enough but it has room for everything that you need to clean your guns.
Additionally, you will be impressed with the packaging because the brand ensures that it is sent to you with double cardboards and extra cushioning. Every component in the box comes to you in perfect condition. This cleaning kit has the capability to help you clean most types of firearms. Even the box that comes with it is great for storing the solvents and lubricants. If you ask me, I would say that this product is worth the price you pay for it. It gives you variety and quality!
My focus is on the multiple cleaning pieces and the portable box that is easy to carry. If you are moving to another city or need it instantly on a hunting trip, it will be easy to take it with you.
- Material: Brass
- Instruction guide: No
- Storage under dual tray
- Universal gun cleaning kit
- 65 pieces cleaning accessories
- Toolbox included
In my opinion, the product has a lot of calibers to be one of the best in the market. That is precisely why it is on our list of top 10 gun cleaning kits. Every component is organized in the kit and it has the variety which will help you clean most types of guns. If you are someone who owns multiple rifles/ammunition, give this a try because it is organized, portable, and there is a tool which would work for most of the guns. The rods are solid but it would be great if a bore guide was provided with the product. Overall, I would give it a thumbs up!
Looking for all the right tools to clean up your rifle/gun? Here's a product which focuses on varieties. Some of the parts are made from the highest quality materials. The Uni Gun Wd Clean is all about giving you a starter kit to work with. As per me, it is ideal for those who are new in the world of ammunition. You are sure to get more than what you expected for the price you pay. It sure has some pros and cons but you are getting most of the components which are used for cleaning multiple firearms. It comes with solid and strong brass rods with good-quality mops, tips, and brushes.
The box contains universal components which can clean most of the rifles in your collection. It comes in a wooden box with a nifty organization of the tools in it. Lightweight and portable, it goes anywhere you want with you.
Additionally, the product has received positive reviews from existing customers. Overall, the cleaning kit offers portability and variety at a good price.
- 28 piece set
- 12 x 8.8 x 1.8 inches; 1.5 pounds
- Outers Universal .22
- Wooden case with the aged-oak finish
If I consider the pros and cons to give the final verdict, I would say that you are getting a lot of variety. If you want variety over quality then this product is the best bet. The majority of the reviewers were unhappy with the quality of the materials used for creating the components. Additionally, a user guide should be included for the new buyers. I believe that it is great for those who are new to guns and cleaning kits. It has got everything you need to clean but not all of the components are of high-quality material. I personally loved the wooden case which can be used for many other purposes. It is a great box for keeping the tools organized.
List of Other Products We Tested
- 1Hoppe's BoreSnake Rifle Soft-Sided Rifle Cleaning Kit
- 2BOOSTEADY Universal Handgun Cleaning kit
- 3Real Avid Gun Boss Pro Universal - Cleaning Kit For All Guns
- 4BOOSTEADY Pro .223/5.56 AR15/M16/M4 Rifle Gun Cleaning Kit
- 5Champs Universal Hand Gun, Rifle & Shot Gun Cleaning Kit
- 6FIREGEAR Gun Cleaning Kit Universal Supplies
- 7Marksman Precision Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
- 8IUNIO Universal Gun Cleaning Kit
- 9UTG 9MM Pistol Cleaning Kit
- 10Remington Hunting Cleaning and Maintenance Kit
- 11Real Avid .223 Gun Boss
- 12Real Avid Gun Boss Universal Cable through gun cleaning kit
What to clean and why need proper cleaning?
Since the whole post is about ammunition cleaning, I am trying to focus on all the aspects which are necessary for you to understand. Not every part of the weapon needs cleaning. I did a major mistake once I started cleaning each and every part of the weapon. Here's some information for you which will come in handy as I have learned a lot about guns and the methods of cleaning.
What to clean and why?
It is not an entirely complicated task! Gun cleaning is simple, but you need the right tools to make it sparkling clean. Do you know that improper tools can damage the ammunition? That's precisely why I always recommend buying an entire kit which has all the tools and accessories. Of course the lubricant and solvent will run out eventually and you would need to replenish it.
Always remember that the most important part to clean is the metal parts. The polymer and wooden parts do not need a lot of cleaning because they are only meant to improve the aesthetics. Since polymer and wood are easy to scratch as compared to metal, you can still get it sparkling clean. For these parts, you need brushes and a special rag.
Secondly, the gun barrel is an important component. Even if the barrel is clean, it will not do much for the smooth functioning but a rusted and pitted gun barrel is not recommended. If you have a gas-operated firearm, the gas block would require deep cleaning. If the gas block is clogged, the gun will start to malfunction.
Thirdly, you need to focus on the receiver of the gun. This would require cleaning because it consists of the main portions. Do ensure that you have cleaned the receiver and all the other components. It is time-consuming but is necessary for keeping your firearm ship-shape! When you buy a gun cleaning kit, you must make sure that it has all the tools which are ideal for cleaning the receiver, barrel, and the polymer and wooden parts.
Using Tips and Tricks
When I bought a gun, it was well-greased and it made me realize that the makers did not want it to get rusted soon enough. It is best to inspect the new ammunition and then take a look at the tools included in the box.
Here are some of the pointers and you can even call them tips or tricks for using the gun cleaning kit.
- Always wear gloves before you get on the task of cleaning the ammunition.
- Secondly, you must unload the weapon because you might even shoot someone while cleaning it. This is risky and avoidable!
- If your toolbox comes with a Bore Snake then BINGO! This helps in removing the gunk and takes less than 15 seconds.
- Lubricant should be applied after the cleaning is done.
- It is important to choose the right size cleaning rods. Use a bronze brush and apply some solvent to it. Do not push! Always pull the cleaning brush through the ammunition.
- The cleaning patches should come out white. Use it for about 20 times till it comes out white and clean! In case your patch comes out black, you would need to repeat the steps.
- Removing the solvents is VERY crucial. You can do this with a gun mop attachment. Dry off the gun and then put some lubricant.
The best gun cleaning kit will have all the above-mentioned tools and some even provide manuals for you to follow.
Was this post helpful for you? If the answer is a resounding YES, share your views with us. As a novice, you would find that some of the information mentioned above is new for you. Once upon a time, I was a beginner and I have tried many products before opting for the best one. Even today, I continue to use a range of products but mostly, I stick to the 10 best ones for my precious gun.
Consider it as an investment because you want your gun to be sparkling clean and well-maintained. Always remember that once you keep your gun maintained and rust-free, it will work well for years! So, choose the best cleaning kit for the gun and save your gun from rust, dirt, and snow!
It is vital to focus on your preference and requirements. If you are a beginner, opt for something which is pocket-friendly and has a good variety of tools. A seasoned shooter can opt for a comprehensive yet high-quality material kit. It all depends on your budget, choice and uses.
Since we have reviewed each product with its suitable rating, you can make a wiser decision. Read the reviews thoroughly and compare the products. If three products fit your budget, your choice can be narrowed down. Always look for portability, the list of much-needed accessories and also the material which is used for making those tools.
Now that you are fully aware of the prerequisite, we are 100% sure that you will make the right choice!