An electric knife sharpener can easily be called the best thing to happen to one’s kitchen knife. This is because it helps you keep your knives in tip-top condition throughout the time you have them. They come in different forms, either in form of a rod or a blade, and you have to pick one good for yourself and your knife.
Before I started using such a kitchen tool, my life was summarized by the word “mess.” “How is that” – you might ask. Well, I will tell you. Not having an electric sharpening device meant that once my knives were blunt, there was nothing I could do about it. I spent hours doing things I could have done in half the time.
This was not good, and after the experience, I never wanted that to happen to me or anyone else again. This is the reason the RangerExpert team reviewed a number of them and prepared this Top 10 Best Electric Knife Sharpener list with a buying guide so you can pick one that suits the needs of your kitchen well.
A Quick View of Our Favorites Electric Knife Sharpener
|Pick Name||Thumbnail||Product Name||Price|
|Top of the List||Work Sharp Ken Orion||$140 at Amazon|
|Good Value for Money||Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV||$180 at Amazon|
|3rd||Work Sharp WSKTS-W||$98 at Amazon|
|4th||Chef’s Choice Hone Hybrid Sharpener||$65 at Amazon|
|5th||LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener||$73 at Amazon|
|6th||Presto 08800 EverSharp||$43 at Amazon|
|7th||Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener||$70 at Amazon|
|8th||Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone||$170 at Amazon|
|9th||Chef’s Choice 320 Diamond Hone||$78 at Amazon|
|10th||Knife Sharpener Electric 3 in 1 Tool by Unique Imports||$28 at Amazon|
Best Electric Knife Sharpener: Top 10 Reviews
1 Work Sharp Ken Orion (Top of the List)
Why Is It the Best Knife Sharpener?
- We identified 31 essential features that make for a good electric knife sharpener and this had the highest number of them (24). This clearly shows that this is the most feature-rich model from Work Sharp that can satisfy any user.
- Our procedure involved checking out how frequently real users were rating this product to give us an idea about how enthusiast people really were about this model. We found that this was one of the frequently reviewed models and other users were very positive about its performance.
- It had one of the highest ranges of sharpening angles that gave us an amazing working experience. We could sharpen a range of blades with different sizes and shapes with this product, ranging from scissors to gut hooks to axes and hatchets.
- It came with 5-pc. abrasive belt kit (1 coarse, 1 extra coarse, 1 fine, 1 extra fine and 1 medium that covered all of our needs. So many facilities convinced us to place it on top of our list.
Work Sharp is a multipurpose sharpener used for hatchets, axes, machetes and other simple cutting tools.
This product features an Adaptable guide with the ability to produce edge bevels from about 15 to 30 degrees and more for some. It is adaptable in the sense that you are given the option of a range of degrees that will suit much more knives and their edges. Other features include Premium flexible abrasive belts, multi-position whetting module, and a variable speed motor.
The Premium flexible abrasive belts are designed to produce a stable and nearly permanent because it lasts long flaunting a razor-sharp convex edge. It features a sharpening module with several positions that provide precision to various areas of a knife.
The motorized mechanism helps it gain variable speed to ensure that you can perform many tasks from low speed honing to high-speed grinding. This electric model has multiple uses.
It weighs approximately 3.3 pounds and measures 5.5 x 10 x 6 inches by length, width and height respectively. Coming up with a one-year limited warranty, this is one of the best hunting knife sharpeners available today.
- Adjustable sharpening Angles 15 to 30 degrees
- Premium flexible abrasive belts
- Variable speed, Heavy Duty Motor
- You can sharpen virtually any shape or type of knife blade
- Adjustable whetting guides ensure your knife is ground to the angle you desire
- Fast, precise, and repeatable
- Versatile and expandable
- Takes long to cut a bevel
- Not budget-friendly
Knife sharpeners are vital to precision cutting even if you are working in the kitchen. We tested a good number of electric sharpeners to track down the most effective models. Work Sharp Ken Onion tops our list for its heavy-duty construction, lightning fast speed and professional-grade precision. It’s also one of the most effective hunting knife sharpeners out there. It offers an all-in-one option for those who want to hone not only knives but other metallic tools.
It has earned a spot among the best-rated sharpeners. We highly recommend it for garden and farm use. For those who want the multipurpose functionality, this product should suit your purpose.
2 Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV (Good Value for Money)
Why Is It Our Runner-Up Choice?
This electric sharpener from Chef’s Choice also deserved to be on top of our list, but we could not pick two products in the same position, so we ended up picking it as a runner-up. In terms of the number of features, it had 23 features and a lesser number of reviews than the top pick.
However, both their rating and frequency of rating were almost the same. But this is from Chef’s Choice – a reputed manufacturer in the industry. This means anyone can rely on this tool for regular use.
Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV EdgeSelect is a professional quality tool mainly used for straight and serrated knives. It is built with pure diamond Abrasives particles, an advanced spring guide that is patented by the company, plus a 3-stage Edge Select sharpening system.
The Diamond wheels are capable of polishing or cleaning a hard surface by grinding. Another interesting feature is the Advanced Spring Guide patented by the company that gives you precise control over the wetting angle and adjusts itself automatically.
The first two stages of the 3-stage Edge Select system is plated with pure Diamond particles attached to a belt forming the abrasives and helps to sharpen the edge while the third stage is plated with an abrasive quality flexible system to polish serrated knives.
It weighs approximately 4.42lbs and measures 10 in length x 4.25 in weight x 4.25 in height (inches) which is impressive we must say. It is portable enough to be easily moved around and economically they are friendly to the environment.
Followed by a 3-year limited warranty, it has the ability to work longer and effectively for a very long period of time if managed well. It is easy to use due to the automatic adjustments and simple setups incorporated with it.
- Advanced stropping stage and 100% Diamond Abrasives
- Advanced, patented flexible spring guides for automatic adjustments
- 3-stage Edge Select Sharpening system for optimum versatility
- 15 Trizor XV combined with Ultra-sharp 15 degrees XV tech
- Resulting Edge angle of 15 degrees
- Easy conversion of household knives with resulting Edge angle of 20 degrees into high-performance Trizor XV 15 degrees edges
- Very fast and accurate: takes about 1 minute for sharpening and 10secs for re-sharpening
- Requires little to no effort at all
- You have total control over the result
- Easy to use with automatic adjustments
- Promotes the life expectancy of knives
- Emitting from a minimum of 65 to 75db of noise
- Tends to take off way too much metal at a time, and this can lead to damaging the blade if not careful
- Can leave behind rough and uneven bevels
Chef’s Choice 15 Trizor XV is an automatic sharpener model mostly recommended for home cooks. Due to its ease of use, chefs would also find it reasonably time-saving in sharpening their knives.
Apart from Chefs, if you are probably looking for a professional model for kitchen use, this might be the one for you. With this tool, you would naturally maximize your budget, but in return, the results you get will be beyond perfect.
3 Work Sharp WSKTS-W
Why Is It Our Budget Choice?
This was actually the most-reviewed electric sharpener that came with an affordable price tag. However, while we checked its number of positive features, we surprisingly noticed that this had the same number of features as our runner-up pick.
This is one of our most-recommended models because we enjoyed the essential features of this model without paying a hefty sum for this.
The WSKTS-W model is another multipurpose but less complex abrasive belt whetting system. It is classed as one of the top-rated universal electric knife sharpeners. Moreover, this does not come as a surprise to us, because its features will just blow your mind away.
Using the flexible gritty belts, this device can work on a range of knives with different sizes and shapes. Some of such knives are the curved edge knives, the straight edges knives, tanto blades, hooks for guts, and even the fillet knives with serrated edges.
It works fine with every shape and type of knife one can have. The rough belt is primarily used to fix damaged edges of blades and grinding all kinds of cutting tools as previously mentioned in this review.
The narrow belt is commonly used for honing knives, sharpened saw-tooth knives and for easy do-overs on blades that were recently sharpened but are starting to become blunt again.
The sharpening guide is very precise and allows you to get the same results every single time you try. The guide makes it possible for you to whet your knives at 40 and 50 degrees with no stress. It weighs 1.95 pounds and measures 5 x 9 x 5.5 inches by length, width and height respectively.
This sharpener can be used for many other cutters such as scissors, axes and hatchets, lawn blades, large garden scissors also known as shears, shovels and many garden equipment with a knife.
- Flexible premium abrasive belts
- Precision whetting guides
- Versatile tool design
- Easy to set up and use
- Easily portable
- Suitable for all knife shapes due to its flexible abrasive belts
- Guaranteed precise cutting angle for your knives
- Suitable for small blades only
- The belts that come with it are thin
WSKTS-W is an innovative belt sharpening system built with whetting guides for kitchen, outdoor and serrated knives. This is one of the best electric knife sharpeners for the cash-strapped buyers. You will also be able to effectively use it for a wide range of knives and other tools for industrial use without having to purchase another whetting tool.
4 Chef’s Choice Hone Hybrid Sharpener
Why is it Our Hybrid Choice?
This product came with a 3-stage hybrid technology that allowed us to use it both manually and with electricity. Its performance was also as we had expected – very sharp and polished edge every time we used any type of knife. Chef’s Choice always makes quality products, which was no different in this case as well.
The only thing we didn’t like about this knife sharpener was that it was a bit on the noisy side. Other than that, we were happy with its overall performance and you can also try for home use.
The chef’s choice hybrid is a knife grinder with an actual difference to offer contemporary means of electric grinding to the older means known as the manual method. This inbuilt technology incorporates 20 degree blades, and it can be used for any knives in that range. For 15 degree blades, you can use Chef’s Choice 1520.
The first two phases use power to whet the blade, while the third phase uses a hone covered in pure fine diamond particles to cut the knife to your taste. It also gives the edge that “v” shape. Since the third stage is manual, it can be used anytime and anywhere without power. Phase 3 also sharpens serrated edges.
It weighs approximately 2.65 pounds and measures 11.2 x 6.2 x 5.2 inches by length, width and height respectively. Guaranteed with a one-year limited warranty, it can last even longer if effectively and adequately managed.
Usability is very high as it includes a manual stage, which can be used anytime despite a power outage. You can use your chef’s knife effectively after honing it.
- 3-stage honing system
- Razor-sharp edges with advanced hybrid technology
- 100% diamond abrasives in the first two stages
- An ultra-thin abrasive in phase 3
- Phase 1 and 2 electric and manual honing in step 3
- Can be used to whet a wide range of knives including straight edge and serrated knives, kitchen and household knives
- Produces a razor-sharp arch-shaped professional edge stronger and more reliable than conventional V-shaped or hollow ground edges
- The third stage can be used without power, allowing it to be used in the absence of power supply
- Can only be used with 20-degree class knives
- Not as durable as other models we discussed
A razor-sharp edge with advanced 3-stage hybrid technology ensures a fast, easy and durable whetting of your knives.
Apart from the usability, it is a cheap option, making it well recommended for those with a lower budget under $50.
If you are not able to cover the power expenses, then the manual stage serves as an alternative.
5 LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener
This model mounted on our list because it is specially designed for kitchen knives, we found its effectiveness during testing.
This feature-rich model was great in most aspects, except for the fact that it could not be used for whetting scissors and saw edges.
This LINKYO sharpener is featured with a 2-stage sharpening system mainly for kitchen use. The first phase gives the angle of the blade a new shape, the second phase finishes the process and polishes it. It is built with a non-slip suction cup feet to keep it from sliding during use.
Another feature is the automatic blade positioning guides to hold the knife at the ideal angle for perfect whetting. Clean up is very easy; Mess-free receptacles with easy to remove plugs catch the metal shards and filings. You can bank on electric sharpeners instead of whetstone for your knife honing task.
It comes with a built-in feature that automatically detects when the pressure being applied is too much and stops the device before any damage is caused to the cutter or the blade. It weighs approximately 2.65 pounds and measures 9.8 x 4.9 x 7.2 by length, width and height respectively.
Also, it is designed for only blades with straight edges and cannot be used on scissors or saw-tooth edges.
- 2-stage whetting system
- Suction cup feet that stop slipping.
- Blade positioning guides that are automatic
- Built-in ‘stop’ feature
- With its natural features, you can whet your knives like a pro in the comfort of your home
- There is precision in the sharpening angle
- Suction cup feet prevent sliding
- Straightforward to remove all residual metal dust by merely removing the plugs
- Use is limited to only straight-edged blades. This is a huge restriction because even the average person has knives with different edges, and it would be highly inconvenient to buy a different electric sharpener for all your knives
- Cannot work with serrated knives
LINKYO Electric model, so far, holds the top position for its quick, safe and straightforward sharpening of straight-edged blades.
It is most recommended for kitchen use and allows an inexperienced user to smoothly operate. You can even use it for your restaurant too.
For those on a budget, this is also a good option for you.
6 Presto 08800 EverSharp
This electric device comes with a modern, sleek design that will enhance the beauty of your kitchen. The black & silver combo of aesthetic colors, rounded shape and stainless steel like finish make it a desirable knife whetter. The two-stage sharpening system contributes to precise honing and creating razor-sharp edges.
Presto 08800 EverSharp works with 120 V electromotive force making it compatible with almost all electric outlets. You will get pro-level precision for non-serrated blades with this device.
The knife functions in two stages; the first stage facilitates the honing process by maneuvering an accurately angled edge. The second stage focuses on the honing and produces smooth edges.
There’s a precision blade holder that positions the knife accurately at the perfect angle. The sapphirite sharpening wheel promotes fine honing. It is quite natural to notice sparks when honing carbon, alloy, and stainless-steel knives with sapphirite wheels. So, don’t take it as a defect.
It has 3 suction cups on the base to help it stay firmly on a countertop or tabletop. There are also two containers right underneath the device to carry the residue produced by the sharpening process.
- Sapphirite whetting wheels
- Two-stage honing system
- Compatible with 120 Volts
- Great usability
- Quick and precise
- Provides you with razor-sharp edges
- The blade runs automatically
- Does not work well with serrated blades
This electric whetting device can produce razor-sharp edges for all types of knives. It works great to work non-serrated blades. You can also get precise honing for knives that are serrated at only one side. So, go for this tool if your knives seem compatible with the features of Presto 08800 model.
7 Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
Presto 08810 is a professional Ever-sharp, electric knife sharpener with a 3 stage whetting system. It features an interchangeable blade guide to provide optimum honing angles. The select feature includes the thick, medium and thin for hunting knives, chef’s knives, and light blades respectively.
The blade guides are automated such that the knife is in the right angle for honing. You can directly draw the knife through each sharpening path as many times as you wish but no more than recommended to achieve the most suitable sharpness for your knife.
Weighing approximately 5.07 pounds and measuring 18.4 x 11.2 x 2.2 inches by length, width and height respectively, this tool particularly provides a fast and easy way to hone kitchen and sporting knives.
Also, backed by a 1-year warranty, it can last even longer if well taken care of.
- 3-stage sharpening system
- Interchangeable blade guides
- Very fast and easy to use
- Eliminates uncertainties in honing angles as the blade guides automatically resolve it
- Can be used for kitchen and sport knives
- A bit bulky
- Cannot be used when there is a power shortage
Presto 08810 works great on all sorts of knives and cutters. Like kitchen knives, hunting knives and more. With the 3-phase honing technology, it is straightforward to use and is mostly recommended for professionals.
8 Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone
This is a professional electric knife sharpener for 20 degree edges. It features a 3-stage honing system with a very concise angle control. The first two phases are what give your knife the arc-shape for enhanced durability. The third stage which is built with an almost inexplicable sharpening disk for maximum sharpness.
Another feature is the belt covered with fine diamond particles to form an abrasive in phase one and two. Characteristics like edge selection allow choice of optimum edges for simple, butcher, simple and serrated knives.
Precision angle guides prevent any guesswork and give you the top results. It weighs approximately 4.63 pounds and measures 12 x 6.2 x 6.2 inches by length, width and height respectively.
This is not finely built and comes with a good 3-year warranty but that does not limit the duration of use if properly managed. A resilient elastomer foothold gives it enough stability to keep it from slipping off and hurting the user.
- 3-phase electric whetting with precision angle control
- Pure diamond particles covered belt as abrasives in phase 1 and 2
- A three-phase honing and cleaning that is second to none
- features the choice of the user selecting their preferred edge available
- A resilient feet hold
- Can be used for straight edge and serrated blades
- Leaves incredibly sharp edges
- Produces durable, long-lasting edges
- Totally safe for quality knives
- Unbelievably fast
- Can only be used with class 20 degree knives edges. Limiting not just the range of knife shapes but the sizes it can be used for.
- Can be sometimes too hard for some knives made of softer steel, so if you are not careful it could grind the whole blade away.
Chef’s Choice 120 delivers foolproof results and highly durable edges for straight edge and serrated 20-degree knives.
It is mostly recommended for people with more demanding jobs like cutting through fibrous foods and meat.
Chefs are not an exception to this lightning-fast device as it could be of help in cutting through delicate foods like smoked salmon.
9 Chef’s Choice 320 Diamond Hone
It is built with a two-stage sharpening system available for durable and long-lasting edges.
Stage one uses a belt covered with pure fine diamond particles to create the first phase of bevels. And the second phase uses two honing blades and an advanced micron of pure diamond particles to complete what the first phase started
The patented stropping disks meant for polishing the blades make it as sharp as technologically possible. And an electrometric spring whose precision has been pre-measured to perfection, such that when blades are applied at the right angles it will give even the worst knives a makeover.
This electric knife sharpener works both edge and serrated knives to better-than-factory edges.
It weighs 1.25 pounds approximately and measures 10.6 x 6.4 x 6.3 inches by length, width and height respectively.
Guaranteed not to detemper, it has a two-year limited warranty for home use only and could last longer if properly managed.
- Two-phase sharpening system with absolute angle control
- Pure diamond-covered abrasive belt in the first phase
- Fast and won’t damage the edge of your blade
- And the second phase has a peculiar but special to only the chefs choice 320 for absolutely perfect results
- Can be used for both serrated knives and straight edge
- Fast, foolproof and produces highly durable edges
- Totally safe for quality knives
- Diamond abrasives plated in it is built to never de-temper
- Large, bulky, and will take up some space if you decide to buy it
- Weighing in at almost 5 pounds, it is one of the heaviest models in its range
The professional 2-stage electric knife sharpener hones both straight and serrated knives to make them look better than factory edges, in just minutes.
Due to its ease of use, control, and features, it is most recommended for home kitchen use. And for those with a high budget, looking for a quality sharpener, you should get this.
10 Knife Sharpener Electric 3 in 1 Tool by Unique Imports
Blades like scissors, cutters like a utility knife, and something entirely out of the equation like screwdrivers – this Grocery Art product really is a piece of art so you don’t have to use different tools for different purposes. And this will save anybody a lot of space.
It features a 2-stage multi-Angle honing system. Its unique stage sharpening process eliminates dull edges and preserves durability.
This device is equipped with a 3.5ft long rewind-able power cord for convenience and ease of use.
It is designed to provide two types of sharpening; coarse and fine. You will get rid of other tedious knife sharpening methods by using this tool.
It weighs 1.7 pounds approximately and measures 5.8 x 5.8 x 4 inches by length, width and height respectively.
- A unique two-stage multi-edge honing system
- 3.5ft rewind-able power cord
- Adjustable angle guide
- Easy to control with adjustable angle guide
- Can be used for multi-tools including screwdrivers and scissors
- Tiny and compact in size
- Hones and polishes simultaneously
- The time interval for usage is 3 minutes, which is too long and unsuitable for continuous sharpening
Grocery Art’s 3-in-1 Tool-Sharpening Machine is one of the high performing knife sharpening kits, able to carry out multipurpose functions with its compact size. This can even be part of your hunting gear and take a place beside your rifle sight or scope, flashlight, binos, etc. For those interested in a less bulky and inexpensive knife sharpening kit, this is recommended for you. It will bring sharpness and new life back to your knife blades, metal screwdrivers, and scissor blades.
Best Electric Knife Sharpener Reviews [Buying Guide]
1. Abrasive material
Grits provide the measurement of abrasiveness, and you want to make sure you find the perfect abrasiveness for your type of knives. We recommend a diamond tip with about 1000 grit. If your electric model is too gritty, this will damage your knife and if it is too smooth, it will not work on your knife properly.
So, find a balance between the abrasiveness and the knives you want to whet. That is the only way to get better results.
2. Sharpening stages
The best electric knife sharpener should have multiple whetting stages. Most of them have a minimum of two and a maximum of four. The different stages come with varying levels of abrasiveness. This means you can pick the stage you want in agreement to how blunt your knife is.
This will allow you to touch up your knife without going for a full-blown whetting that might actually damage it. Sometimes all a knife needs is a touch-up only.
3. Angle guide
An angle guide will let you know how to position your knife to get the optimum level of sharpening. It ranges from 15-30 degrees. The higher the range of degrees the more blades, different in shapes and sizes you can sharpen.
If it does not come with one, you might have to ruin a few knives before getting the perfect angle. And if the electric sharpener has just one-degree angle capacity it will restrict you to only being able to grind a few knives. We recommend that you get one with a range of angle guides.
Is it versatile? In the sense that, how many different kinds of knives the electric sharpener can handle. Because the more it can handle, the better for basically everyone. If you are the type that uses different blades, you should get a versatile model.
The portability has to do with how much space you have in your kitchen, if the electric knife sharpener is massive, and if you want to travel with it. Some weigh as little as one pound and are handheld, while others can weigh as much as seven pounds and are not handheld. If you want to be able to move around with your honing device, then go for a portable model.
When looking for the best electric kitchen knife sharpener you want something safe for the kitchen, easy to use with little or no danger hazard. And some can be a danger hazard, probably because of their design. So it’s imperative to get a safe one. By checking the model and how it works.
7. Cleaning ease
The design of some electric models makes it hazardous and hard to clean, so you want to choose one that has a friendly design allowing easy cleaning. An easy to clean model has an open configuration and you do not have to dismantle it to clean. Aim for those ones, and leave your cleaning issues behind you. Unlike battery operated knife sharpeners, electric ones are stronger and easier to use.
8. Range of angles
These devices come with a different range of angles allowing you to sharpen different knives of different shapes. More angles mean more variety of knives. Some have just one and others have all. Pick the range according to your specifications and preference. This is suitable for someone who uses a variety of knives.
The speed of an electric knife sharpener determines how fast or slow your cutter will be whetted, so if you want just to touch up the knife go for a slower model. But, a faster speeding one will grind really quickly. Or you can get one with different speeds.
Some models are more durable than others due to the building material of the knife edge, which can be diamond or other metals. Please note that diamond edges are known to last longer.
Knife sharpeners can be noisy in general, what you can do is settle for a less noisy one. The seller might try to beguile you by telling you the noise is not loud, if you can turn it on and hear it for yourself.
Not all models come with a warranty. You want to keep an eye out for a warranted model so that you can return when it develops any fault during the given warranty period.
Why Use an Electric Knife Sharpener
An electric knife sharpener is a machine powered by electricity that is used for whetting knives. Most of the good ones come with two or three abrasives; so you can pick one of your choices. It also comes with different angles allowing you to bend your knife and achieve maximum sharpness.
The importance of these electric devices cannot be undermined, whether you use it for your personal kitchen or you are a chef. They can add a lot of convenience to your daily life. They are safer than traditional non-electric mechanical sharpeners.
Some models can work on serrated knives, while other models cannot. In this review, we will provide you with all the necessary details to make your hunt for knife sharpeners a bliss.
Electric Knife Sharpener: What to Consider?
You need to ask yourself the following questions before you begin your quest.
- What kind of knives do you have?
Electric sharpeners are made mainly to handle smooth-edged knives, and only a few can whet a serrated knife. And if you use one meant for the other you can damage your blade, sometimes beyond repair. Finding the answer to this question will help you choose a suitable solution for your knives.
- How much space can you spare?
The design of electric models is much bigger than the manual knife sharpeners. And as such cannot just fit into the kitchen drawer or cabinet. So, if you know your kitchen lack space, you might want to rethink buying one. And get the most suitable size to suit your kitchen space.
- How patient are you?
If you are the type with some patience, you would not have any problem buying a manual sharpener. But if you are not patient, then go electric as they are always faster and easier to use. So, if you are the type that is always on the go then this is for you, as it is easy to master and use.
- How much do you value your knives?
Asking yourself this question is essential, because most electric sharpeners can overdo the job and even chip off the edges of your knife, and this can destroy them.
- Does noise bother you?
If it was easy for you to answer yes to this question, then do not be in haste to get an electric option. As most of them are loud and noisy and most people cannot stand it.
- Are you left-handed?
Most of the electric sharpeners in the market are made for right-handed people, though they can be used by left-handed people. So, do consider this before you order one.
How to Use Your Electric Knife Effectively?
Now that you know about the available knife sharpeners, you should use these tips to understand how you can use it so as to serve you well for a long time. Frequent uses of your knife without honing contribute to its becoming dangerous over time, leaving you with a dull knife eventually. In order to maintain its edges, you should know how to use the device. Before you hone your knife, make sure the knife blade fits entirely through the device for optimum results
There is the presence of two to three grinding wheels on the electric sharpener, all with different coarseness and grit making it a useful knife honing tool. To sharpen your knife, these are the steps you should take:
- Make sure the heel of the knife connects with the grinding stone by pressing it down as far as possible. Work your way up to the tip of the knife.
- Make sure the blade is at an angle of between 15o -20o. The sharpener then does the job of setting the knife-handle’s angle to connect with the grinding stone
- The blade should be passed only twice slowly to affect the task of sharpening the knife
- The process should be repeated on the more exceptional stone and do as you have done above
- Make sure you rinse your razor and dry it with a clean cloth
Pros & Cons of Electric Knife Sharpeners
There are multiple advantages and disadvantages of using electric sharpeners. Whether you are using the single one or a knife honing kit. Here are a few starting with the advantages.
- Since all types of kitchen knives are bound to become dull, having a honing device in your kitchen will ease you of those worries of having to go to a professional. You can do it by yourself in under a minute
- It is not expensive, so your wallet will not cry after buying one
- With an automatic device, the machine does all the work, so no skill is required of you
- You save yourself a lot of money on constant knife sharpening visits, sometimes each knife sharpening session can cost as much as buying a new knife sharpening kit
- The different slots that come with the sharpener allow you to whet all kinds of knives
- They are also safe and secure for you
- It comes with an angle guide, so if you do not follow the guide correctly, you can damage and wear out your knife.
- It can be bulky sometimes, and if kept in the kitchen it occupies space.
- It can completely damage a blade if used on an abrasive that is not meant for it.
Care & Maintenance
- Cleaning these machines is very essential though it should not be done frequently. As water or fluids can cause rust and spoil it, you should clean it once a year to prevent it from getting damaged gradually. This means you have a longer time to spend with your new honing device.
- Store the device in a cool and dry place. Most people keep it in their kitchen and in all honesty, a kitchen is hardly a cool or a dry place. The point is humidity and fluids affect the electric knife sharpener negatively. So keep it away from areas that have those.
- Also, make sure the blade you are about to hone is clean and it does not transfer any food particles to the electric knife sharpener that will cause damage.
- Avoid cutting acidic fruits near it as it can cause corrosion in the blade.
It’s Time to Wrap Up
I have painstakingly taken my time and energy to discuss the required point. And I have done so from the most detailed and analytic point of view. This is so I can bring to you the most comprehensive and well-thought-out results to give you the power and authority to pick the top electric sharpeners. No matter what, whether you are sharpening throwing knives or kitchen knives, these tools work great for all – beginners and experts alike.
You never give your preference away, take for example the knife sharpener electric 3-in-1 tool, with three times the features of an average knife sharpener or the chef’s choice 320 with one of the top diamond edges you might find today. You have the option to pick any model from our Best Electric Knife Sharpener list and you can’t go wrong with it. We sincerely hope that this review will help with your quest to find a reliable knife sharpener.
1. Are electric knife sharpeners worth it?
Ans. Although some people still prefer traditional sharpening methods like sharpening stones for more control and precision, electric knife sharpeners are a quick, convenient, and effective way to keep your knives sharp and in good condition all year round.
2. How does an electric knife sharpener work?
Ans. Electric knife sharpeners have different stages or slots, each with its own function. The coarse slot is used for sharpening dull or damaged knives, while the fine slot is used for honing and polishing the blade.
Some also have a slot for serrated knives. Remember to avoid applying too much pressure on the blade because this can damage it.
3. What do professionals use to sharpen knives?
Ans. Professional chefs or cooks usually prefer the traditional methods like whetstone because this gives them more control over the process for precision. Since they have to work with kitchen knives regularly, this is expected of them. But you can use electric knife sharpeners for quick and effective sharpening.
4. Will sharpeners ruin my knife?
Ans. They are there to protect your knife and keep it functioning, not ruin it. But the wrong sharpening method or tool can potentially damage the blade. For example, using a cheap and low-quality sharpener or grinding wheel can generate excessive heat and remove too much metal from the blade. A coarse grit stone or sharpening at the wrong angle can also cause the blade to lose it’s temper.
5. How often should I use my electric knife sharpener?
Ans. The frequency depends on how often you use your knives and how dull they become with use. We recommended that you sharpen your knives with an electric sharpener every three to six months or whenever they start to become dull.
Leave a Comment