Best Deer Calls (2021): 10 Top Selling Models With 100% Deer Response — Sorted From Hundred Different Models, Field-Tested & Reviewed With Buyer’s Guide
- Robert Stevens
The prey attractant industry is highly competitive and every manufacturer claims their product the most effective at bringing deer right into your shooting zone.
Since you won’t dare venturing into the wild without the right game calls, you need to understand how these animals behave. Imitating deer sounds with a deer call could be easy and exciting for you, but deer are actually clever enough to sense when something is wrong.
However, these tools are still quite effective if you make a good choice and use it right. We reviewed the most popular deer calls of today and championed those that do work. Here’s your chance to take your hunting skills to the next level with the best deer call!
What You Will Get Here
- Best Deer Calls Comparison Chart (Updated 2021)
- Why Follow Our Lead
- Our Product Testing & Selection Procedure
- Our Top 10 Deer Call List
- Overall Best: Illusion Systems Extinguisher Deer Call
- Best Bleat Call: Primos The Original CAN Deer Call
- Best Deer Rattle Call: Illusion Systems Extinguisher & Black Rack Calling System
- Best Snort Wheeze Call: FlexTone Headhunter Extractor
- Best Grunt Calls for Deer: Primos Hardwood Grunter Call
- A List of 5 Other Products We Reviewed
- Hunters Specialties(HS) True Talker Deer Call
- Other Notable Brands & Models
- Deer Calls – A Comprehensive Buying Guide
- Deer Calling 101 - Tips & Strategies
- Wrapping It Up
Best Deer Calls Comparison Chart (Updated 2021)
Illusion Systems Extinguisher Deer CallRead Full Review
Primos The Original CAN Deer CallRead Full Review
Illusion Systems Extinguisher & Black Rack Calling SystemRead Full Review
FlexTone Headhunter ExtractorRead Full Review
Primos Hardwood Grunter CallRead Full Review
Illusion Systems Black Rack – Rattling Deer AntlersRead Full Review
Primos Hunting the Can, Original Can, Trap PS7064Read Full Review
Nationwide Scents All in One Deer CallRead Full Review
Flextone Buck Collector Plus CallRead Full Review
Hunters Specialties True Talker Deer CallRead Full Review
Why Follow Our Lead
Ranger Expert is your go-to destination to come across the hunting adventures of a group of avid, lifelong hunters. We enjoy sharing tales, tips and tricks from our every hunting season through this global platform.
Our how-to blogs and hunting gear reviews are carefully tailored to satisfy the curiosity of all types of hunting and shooting enthusiasts out there. We have a huge audience base from all corners of the USA that we’re proud of.
Join the rank today and see how we can help you up your hunting game that you’ll boast about to your children and grandchildren years later.
Our Product Testing & Selection Procedure
Well, finding the high-performance calls from so many choices was not a piece of cake for us. At first, we researched online for around 22 hours and listed down 26 of the most famous options for sale today.
The next phase required us to involve a volunteer group in the process in order to get it done most efficiently. We all applied all of our deer calling techniques and noticed which ones worked well and which ones failed.
When done testing, we had a clear idea about the effectiveness of every deer call based on which we prepared this shortlist. We also got in touch with other seasoned deer hunters that we personally knew and asked for their feedback. They too were positive about our findings, as expected.
Our Top 10 Deer Call List
The Extinguisher is, no doubt, the game-changer. Its most separating feature is the patented modislide button that allows you to mimic a lot of sound by simply sliding it upwards or downwards.
What’s more, this model features a dual-layered technology that makes it possible for you to make a directional call. It’s impressive how realistic the sound reaches the animals, and that’s the reason the extinguisher device is quite popular among hunters.
Like most items on this list, it’ll take a lot of practices to make the right sound, but each session isn’t a waste because you’ll soon start having the deer around.
Fortunately, it’s made from high-quality materials, making it long-lasting and reliable. It has a freeze-free design, meaning you can use it in frigid temperatures.
Another striking feature with this model is the free instructional videos in the package for you to learn the various forms of communications and behavioral characteristics of the animals.
Many real-life users appreciated its versatility, portability, and ease of transitioning through the sound.
So far, the Extinguisher has been an all-time best-seller among deer calls and has received a 99.9 approval rating in the NAHC field test; and we affirmed this since it was pretty useful for us in drawing out the buck.
Priced in the mid-range category and in comparison with other products we’ve listed, the Extinguisher model is highly rated on famous eStores like Amazon, indicating that it met the expectations of the users.
The Extinguisher deer call is the best you can buy at the moment looking at its price and ability to create diverse sound. The sound quality is fantastic and you can use it for all types of deer. So, it’s worth every bit of the money.
The Primos Original Can Deer Call is worth your consideration when looking for ways to get the deer’s attention during their mating phase. It has a reasonable success rate, making it a popular option among pro and amateur buck hunters.
This unit mimics the bleat vocalization to tell bucks when females are in heat; so, it would attract them pretty quickly.
The Primos Can is lightweight and compact, making it easy to handle. This one has rubberized grip at the top and bottom to prevent it from slipping off your hands.
While our first choice would produce varying pitches, this one makes only the bleat sound, which can draw out a whitetail, blacktail, fallow, muntjac, mule or red deer to your sight.
The Primos Can consist of perforations at the top and bottom with an internal sounding device that generates noise when you tip it upside down. Since it produces only one sound, it’s quite easy to operate.
Previous users of this model have found it to be highly effective in attracting deer during the rut phase. However, we noticed that it made some sound while it was still in the backpack.
A user also reported that the unit malfunctioned when it became wet; for this, we recommend that you always keep it dry.
This model is cheap but super-efficient at creating a mating scenario. Though the use is limited to the breeding season only, this is one of the best deer calls that will certainly help you have a successful hunting season this year.
As a brand Illusion Systems is well-known for their hunting gear products. So, we were eager to find out what they’ve packed in their package that consists of the Extinguisher and Black Rack Calling Systems. It’s one of the best selling packages available today, so let’s talk about some of its key features.
The first impression was good as we liked the quality of both the black rack rattling system and the caller. Dark finish and classic design add to its aesthetics in a nice way. You’ll feel them good in hand.
This unit measures at 15 x 9 x 5.8 inches and weighs at 1.7 pounds, meaning it’s a little heavier than our earlier reviewed choices. Of course, that shouldn’t surprise you since it’s combining two deer calls. The caller is a short distance communication system, while the rattler is particularly designed for louder volume and longer-distance communication with the deer.
We found that this product worked well for making pre-rut calls and you can use the deer call for all species. Besides, the grunt call was excellent, sounded great, and was super easy to adjust.
Most users expressed their happiness at the ease of changing the sound. However, the Black Rack was a little challenging to carry and didn’t sound quite loud as we’d expected but still called a few bucks.
As one of the best rated deer hunting gear, there’s no doubt that many users were satisfied with.
This is an effective and reliable attractant; it comes with an app to help hone your skills. The price is reasonable, it’s superb, and makes the most realistic calls possible.
The Flextone Headhunter Extractor is an excellent choice for making sound like real buck grunts, doe bleats, doe grunts, and fawn brawls.
This product is extremely versatile, thanks to its patented X-glide button slide adjustment that enables you to change the vocalizations to suit your interest. With the specialized tube design, you can make sound in different directions without moving around.
When you’re not using the right deer call, hunting in the cold can be frustrating. However, you won’t have any freezing issues with this unit as it allows you to clear the ice buildup by sliding the X-glide button.
Many of the online reviewers were happy with its ease of use and loudness. However, we found that sometimes the sound was a bit off; and whenever that happens, we’ll adjust the glide button to get the right tone.
This unit comes with a lanyard that allows you to hang it on your neck for easy carrying and accessibility.
This Flextone model is an excellent option for the budget-conscious hunters for inviting alpha bucks using the snort wheeze call.
When shopping for deer calls, you can always have high expectations from Primos brand because of their years of experience in the industry and commitment to maintain high standards.
This Grunter model is from hardwood, making it an instant winner in terms of durability and craftsmanship. You can use it for years and it’ll still function under harsh weather conditions.
It has exceptional functionality, thanks to its adjustable reed assembly that enables you to produce up to 6 grunts and bleats. With such versatility, you don’t need to buy a different call for each sound. The use of the hardwood is the reason for its extra loudness, and that’s quite needful when enticing mature bucks.
This unit weighs around 1.4 ounces, making it one of the lightest on our list, meaning you’ll feel much at ease when carrying it around.
Unlike models with adjustment sliders, we’d always decouple and couple again to change the sound; that was a little challenging for us. However, looking at the cheap price point, you shouldn’t expect absolute perfection.
Since it was a top rated choice, it clearly shows that this Grunter model served its purpose well.
If you’re looking for a cheaper option on the market, this Grunter version is a great choice. However, don’t let the price fool you, you’ll enjoy it for long as the hardwood material makes it super durable and capable of producing loud grunts.
A List of 5 Other Products We Reviewed
The Black Rack model from Illusion Systems will allow you to generate incredibly realistic antler-like sound for attracting those mature deer. In the package are two racks for you to imitate a buck fight. Fortunately, the model is black, meaning it’ll blend with the environment and the prey will charge into your shooting range without noticing.
We found that its sound was highly realistic, and we had greater success when using it in the field.
Like our previous products from this brand, this one comes with an app to help you understand its use. However, this tool is made from plastic, so you’ll be a little cautious to prevent it from breaking.
Great product for the money, produces authentic sound, and quite excellent for creating that aggressive growling in mature bucks.
The Trap PS7064 is another exciting tool for communicating with the deer. What separates it from our 2nd choice is the absence of the non-slip grip rings. However, this one is quite compact, so, it’s easier to handle.
Fortunately, this model produces authentic estrus bleat calls (especially breeding bellow) that those mature prey will quickly respond to. It has also been tested and found to function in all-weather condition.
It got many positive reviews from the users, proving its effectiveness at attracting the deer.
Like the Primos Original Can, you can prevent it from making unwanted noise by removing the plastic sticker at the bottom; but you’ll always cover the hole with your thumb to control the sound.
We can’t exhaust our top list without mentioning the Nationwide Deer Call because of its fantastic performance and unbeatable durability. We believe this is the best whitetail deer call you will find today.
The vision to design this model was birthed and materialized by a team of expert hunters who’d spent about 28 years in raising and hunting whitetail deer. So, you can use it with confidence, while expecting much pleasure and success.
This model weighs around 0.64 ounces making it the lightest on our list, meaning you can’t feel uncomfortable having it around your neck.
Besides, it boasts of an extra-long tube to give it better volume and realistic throaty grunts. Twisting the joints, you can adjust the ring on the reed to switch sound. However, doing this frequently can cause the parts to wear too soon.
The Nationwide Scent has a small hole near the bottom that allows you to raise or lower the volume. It can mimic rutting buck bawl, breeding buck, lost or distressed fawn, and doe bleat calls and is usable in early or late season.
This is the ideal model for persons that desire to invest in a lightweight but high-quality deer call. It’s made to produce loud sound; but you can control the volume by covering the hole. Sold at a mid-range price, this Nationwide Scent model will add huge value to you.
This unit is another new version from Flextone, and this one comes with True-touch buttons that you can press to generate bleats, social grunts, and snort wheeze calls. You need to be cautious of the amount of pressure you’re applying on the buttons else the sound would be awful.
From our observation, this device was pretty comfortable to use, and you wouldn’t need to spend much time to practice. It worked as expected and the grunt was deep, making it the perfect choice for attracting mature deer.
You can quickly pull it apart and clean the moisture buildup to prevent freezing. Overall, it sounded fantastic, and you’ll appreciate the flexible tubing that makes switching vocalizations easier.
This call is excellent, with the ability to produce different sound, you don’t need to carry extra calls into the wood. The price is reasonable, coupled with its high Amazon rating, you have enough reason to make this model your favorite hunting gear.
The True Talker from Hunters Specialties comes with all the specs you’ll need to make your deer hunting endeavour much more successful. Earning the reputation as the world’s only revolutionary buck calling system, you can be sure of this pacesetter’s outstanding performance.
It’ll excite you that this product generate sound for all deer types, perfect for drawing even the baby deer or the dominant buck. It’s pretty easy to use, thanks to its patented fingertip control system. Unlike most models for sale, you don’t need to reassemble the unit to change the tone; instead, you only roll your finger to manipulate the pitch.
This True Talker version has a protective rubber coating that provides a convenient mouthpiece. There’s a balanced hardwood reed system that won’t freeze under cold weather and you can easily disassemble for cleaning. It also comes with an adjustable lanyard that allows you to wear it across your shoulders or around your neck.
It comes with a manual that you can always refer to if you’re having any difficulty.
However, a few users complained that a little change in the pressure applied could trigger a fluctuation in the output. However, that wasn’t a deal-breaker for us since many of the reviewers didn’t mention that as a flaw.
Overall, the True Talker is well-constructed, and the high Amazon rating indicates that it’s a reliable choice for any serious hunter. You can also check out their Slam Talker that has recently created a lot of buzz in the hunting community.
Other Notable Brands & Models
There are so many makers of deer calls that we felt the obligation to mention them on our review, including the following -
Bossman Outdoors, Native by Carlton, Bone Collector, C'mere Deer, Ezy Axis, Nordik Predator, Quaker Boy, Cass Creek, Carlton's Calls, Extreme Dimension Wildlife, Faulk's Game Calls, Woodhaven, Jehn Original (Buttolo Deer Leaf), Sitka, Buck Commander, Pete Rickard's, Buck Gardner, Woods Wise, and Haydel’s.
Also, we believe these deer calls are worth checking out if you’re serious about your deer hunt -
- 01Primos The Great Big Can Call
- 02Flextone Buck Commander Rut Hunter Deer Call
- 03Primos Big Bucks Bag Call
- 04Hunter's Specialties Bucgrunter Deer Call
- 05Flextone All-In-One Deer Calls
- 06Hunters Specialties Nemesis Deer Call
- 07Primos Power Buck and Doe Call
- 08Hook's Custom Calls Messenger Deer Grunt Call
- 09E.L.K., Deer Talk Call
- 10Primos Hunting Deer Call
- 11 Quaker Boy Distressed Fawn Predator Call
- 12 DJ Calls R-25 Sika Stag Deer Call
- 13 Duel D004 Double Back Grunt Call (Black)
- 14 Hook's Custom Calls Messenger Deer Grunt Call
- 15 ELK Deer Talk Call The Deer Stopper
- 16 Rocky Mountain Champ Tone Top Elk Diaphragm Call
- 17 Guide Gear Remote Control Deer Game Call Hunting
- 18 Knight & Hale Pack Rack Deer Call (Rattling System)
Deer Calls – A Comprehensive Buying Guide
1. Deer Call Types
There are different types of deer species - from roe to sika to mule moose to elk - each with its unique sound. That’s the reason you should know the kind of call to get for the species you’re hunting.
- Bleat – This is like the sound of does and fawns, especially when they’re communicating. A mature doe bleat at a lower pitch compared to those from a fawn. When a doe is about to mate, it’ll bleat to attract the male folk. If you’re targeting bucks, the bleat call is perfect. When a buck hears the sound, it’ll perceive a doe is in heat and will come around. You can attract deer to your area combining bleat calls with grunt calls. One of the simplest ways to make doe bleat sound is to use a can call.
- Rattle – You have to use this sound when you’re simulating a buck’s fight. Most hunters have used this tactic for many years to attract whitetails by making them believe there’s an ongoing fight. You can make a rattling sound by jamming two antlers, but you’ll only be successful with regular practice as you learn how they vocalize in their rut phases.
- Grunt – Almost all deer hunters are familiar with the grunt call. It’s a simple means of communication that helps a buck to identify where a doe is. We recommend you use the grunt when you spot the prey as it’ll help draw it closer to the point of call.
- Snort Wheeze – This sound works most on mature bucks as they often produce it to intimidate the fawns. The snort wheeze should be your last resort for deer call as it could send the buck away. However, dominant bucks will always answer in the direction of the call.
2. The Breed
Since different breeds have different vocalizations, you should buy or try a homemade, DIY or custom deer call that suits the kind you’re hunting. For example, if you want to shoot a buck, choose the best buck grunt call. If you’re not selective of deer breeds, you can pick an all in one design.
The strap allows you to attach the call to your body, making it easier to carry around and access.
The material construction will determine its durability, resistance to weather, and quality of sound. Most brands use hardwood, plastics, or both to create specific call effects. You should choose models that won’t freeze under cold conditions.
Most items include user instructions, videos, and apps that help you know how to make good use of them.
Your call should be heard from a long distance. As a rule of thumb, the louder the vocalization, the better. Louder calls will reach a greater area of land, increasing your target options.
Since you don’t want to buy a new deer call every season, get one that’ll last long. Always buy from reputable companies to ensure the product won’t quickly lose shape and in turn, distort the sound.
Your preferred model should be compact, lightweight, easy to convey, and it shouldn’t take a lot of space when stored in a bag. It should also not make any sound when stored in your bag so the wildlife is not alarmed.
9. Electronic Deer Calls
Besides mechanical deer calls, digital calls are the next option for you. They’re highly sophisticated and can make recordings of live deer then play the sound. Before buying, you should consult the authorities to know if they permit the use of electronic calls in your area.
The top companies in the industry would do better than the newer brands in terms of advanced user guides, durability, and finish. But the latest brands win the day by innovations and ease of use.
For beginners, here are a few outstanding manufacturers to choose from.
- Illusion Systems: The outstanding feature of all Illusion products is an unbeatable technology base. This American company offers its buyers the option to select various sound with one deer call. Besides, each of their models undergoes rigorous test and tuning to ensure the product will work for you in the field.
- Primos Hunting: Whether you’re a professional or recreational user, Primos calls will suit your needs. The company introduced its first call in 1934 and has been consistent in producing durable and easy to use models.
- Flextone: This manufacturer ensures that you have the whole herd in one call. For us, primotheir products aren’t as innovative like the Illusion Systems’, but you’ll appreciate their unique throat tubes that make changing the tone easier.
Deer Calling 101 - Tips & Strategies
As you prepare for the next hunting season, here are a few bucks calling tips to keep in mind.
- Be flexible – With the change of seasons, deer calling strategies also change. You should know how to switch between calls to suit any situation and time of the year.
- Be Prepared – Bucks often show up immediately when you hit the call, but what happens if you’re not ready to shoot? Always keep your deer hunting rifle or bow prepared to strike right before making the call.
- Don’t start loud – It’s ideal to start soft when blind calling and then gradually increase the volume so you won’t scare off your prey.
- Stop Calling when the buck is approaching – You better stop calling to prevent it from seeing you ahead of time.
- Don’t keep calling when the deer isn’t responding – It’s not always that the whitetail might be interested in your calling. So, don’t overdo it since this will negatively impact its pattern whenever the deer is in that area. Bucks that are already alert as a result of an earlier call shouldn’t be called as it could tip them off the impending danger.
- Regular practice matters – No matter your skill level, you should always practice knowing when to use the calls before hitting the woods. Sharpen your skill watching those instructional videos and following the manufacturer’s guide.
- Limit your calling frequency – You should know that deer don’t regularly make sound everywhere they go, so much calling or howling could send the wrong message to them. For the best results, we recommend you call at least once every 30 minutes.
- Scan the area – You should ensure that no deer is available in the area. If any, start calling with a soft tone and then pause to observe their reaction. If the deer doesn’t respond quickly to a tending grunt, you can try a snort wheeze; but do this sparingly.
Wrapping It Up
When you’re in search of the best deer call ever, always check the number of calls it has and that it matches with your hunting style. The wrong product could mar your hunting trips, so compare their specs, pros, and cons before making your choice.
If you’re looking for a mid-range option, the Extinguisher deer call is the best. It tops other models we’ve listed by its ease of use, versatility, and reliability. For the best estrus bleat calls for the rut, you can’t go wrong with the Primos Can.
We hope our buying guide gave you everything you needed to choose your ideal product. Finally, make sure you practice with your device and watch the instructional videos for better results.
1. Are deer calls effective?
Ans. When you’re hunting in the field and the deer isn’t within your shooting yard, you’ll need a call to lure it to your range. Once the buck is closer or you hear its roar, taking a clean shot is possible for a humane kill. You only need to master the appropriate use of this device for it to be effective just like you would do with other types of baits like a deer call.
2. Is it true that automated calls are in some way better than canned ones?
Ans. Both deer call types do work; it depends on your preference. Most persons choose can calls because they’re loud and durable. Also, they don’t freeze under cold conditions and can operate without batteries.
Electronic calls operate with battery, meaning it costs more to maintain, but are even more straightforward to use since you’ll only press a button to select the prerecorded sound.
3. What is the sufficient calling distance?
Ans. Deer calls are most effective within a 200-to 300-yard radius.
4. Does a deer call successfully attract deer all the time?
Ans. Things like personal skills, noises, and quality of tone could affect the attractant’s ability to lure deer all the time. Since you can’t eliminate all of these factors from interfering with your hunting activity, you shouldn’t always expect a 100% success.
5. Should I care about durability?
Ans. You won’t be happy if you’re buying a new game-call every season. Besides, the more you’re attached to a given device, it becomes easier for you to use, and you’ll mostly get better results.
6. Are low durable calls tend to lose the quality of calls?
Ans. We can’t authoritatively say that the durability of the device can affect the output of the calls. Of course, if the unit depreciates over time, the tone quality will fall. That’s more reason to invest in a call that can maintain its basic performance standard despite the years of use.
7. Does type matter with deer calling?
Ans. Your hunting style will determine the suitable deer call type to buy. Generally, using the wrong game call will alert the prey and mar your chances of getting a good hit. Your device is to help you attract the deer to sight, and this can only work if you’re using the right deer attractant for the animal you’re having in mind.
8. Why are prices so different?
Ans. You can’t rate the product’s quality only by its price since, in most cases, cheaper calls can perform like those expensive types. However, the purpose of price differentials is to help you plan your spending.
9. Why should I choose hands-free devices?
Ans. While you’re making the call, it’s also important to be ready to shoot at any moment. Choosing a hands-free unit like the Lil Shawty from Primos will help you to be in a convenient position to target the buck whenever it shows up.