Turkey Hunting Fundamentals: Top 10 Tips for Beginners
- Robert Stevens
Chasing turkeys is one of the greatest thrilling forms of hunting. The birds are hard to hunt. Hunters can be chatty with their target. While the conversations are frightening, the conflicts are what turkey hunters live for. The last 50 yards of tempting that big gobbler to your position can last for hours or end in a flash. All of it depends on the particular bird and the circumstances. If starting turkey hunting is in your mind this year, you need to be ready for a big chase before taking your favorite backpack containing a set of sharp hunting knives.
|1||Gamo 6110017154 Varmint Air Rifle .177 Cal||$112.98||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Gamo Magnum Air Rifle, .22 Caliber||$299.99||Buy on Amazon|
|3||DAIXI Seat Back Gun Sling Rack,Car Seat Back Gun Sling Organizer for Rifle Hunting,Camouflage||$21.99||Buy on Amazon|
Call an Experienced Friend
Turkey hunting may not as intriguing as squirrel hunting, but the job has some challenges. If you know anyone with the skill, go and ask them about the turkey hunting in your area. Most hunters are more than pleased to help someone to begin. There is a decent chance they will go with you if their timetable matches with your plan. Hunting with a companion lets a rookie turkey hunter concentrate on the environments while letting their buddy do the calling for them. Having somebody call from twenty yards behind the shooter will also assist to get turkeys nearer for a fatal shot.
Carry Basic Gear
- Shotgun, Ammo & Choke: Find a gun that doesn’t gloss or stand out, a camouflaged or black-matte finish will be just great. Or else, use camouflaged tape to cover the glossy metallic surfaces.
- Clothing: Remember the camouflage that hides you from turkeys and keeps you dry and relaxed afield is a requirement, counting a hat, gloves and a facemask. Coat your dress to match the climate, and if it’s rainy, you’ll want decent raingear.
- Hunting Boots: Be sure that your boots fit well and keep your feet relaxed. Wear knee-high rubber or neoprene boots in wet zones, ankle-high hiking boots if you go through a lot of ground during hunting and knee-high boots to keep you safe in snake country.
- A pair of hunting binoculars
- A decoy
- A rangefinder
- A hunting headlamp or a flashlight in case you begin your hunt early in the morning
- A turkey vest with backrest to keep your essentials
Wake up Early
Hunting turkeys in the central of the day are conceivable. Though, the vast majority of turkeys are marked in the first hour of hunting. It’s domineering to be in your spot well early in the morning before the sun rises. Turkey hunting isn’t an amusement for individuals who like to sleep in the morning.
Setting Up Turkey Decoys
You can’t just stick decoys and assume them to work. You have to make selections. With stutter decoys, use a Jake fan, so it doesn’t fright the birds. Also, you can add real feathers which will make a big difference.
If you have no skill calling turkeys, look into many recordings of turkey calls. This will aid you to get familiar with the sound made by a turkey. If you are a newbie box call is recommended. They are the easiest to use. If you’re not that much skilled, collect a push button calls, they are more than satisfactory. The additional nice thing about push button calls is it only takes one hand to control them.
Know the Behavior
You must get to be familiar with the behaviors and motive for those behaviors of any animal you’re hunting. If you distinguish why a turkey flies down from its roost after sunrise, then you will know precisely where to be sitting on initial daylight. If you recognize what time of year turkeys initiate mating, you will know when is the right time to bait in nervous toms, and excited hens and what they are the best calls to use that time of year. Knowing the habit is a big deal.
Choosing A Bird
If a group of turkeys approaches you, pick a bird or two before they get near to you. Hens are off limits throughout spring times. They will be smaller, have cloudier plumage, and their heads will be lighter in color and less marked. Male turkeys will be bigger, and their heads will be bright red with a touch of white and blue.
Guns & Ammunition
Younger people and some females use 20-gauge shotguns for turkey hunting. Though, the 12 gauge is the typical gobbler gun. For lethal shapes and sufficient of knockdown power, go with #5 shot. Several hunters prefer #4 or #6, but #5 seems to be the well-pleased medium. To generate a malicious shape, an extra full turkey choke is mandatory. You have to find the best hunting rifle Suitable for you.
Except you like spattering pellets out at the dinner table, shotgun hunters should take head shots directly. As a gobbler comes into range, delay for him to pop his head up.
After the Shot
A well-located shot inside range should fall a turkey instantly. If they jump to run off, it is recommended to take an instant to follow up shot. You don’t want to let that bird get out of vision. Subsequently, the bird knocks the ground; you will want to tag him straightaway before moving him. Don’t overlook to snap some decent photos. That big turkey appeared a lot better in the forests or the field than he will in a garage or the backside of a truck.
If you’ve never hunted turkeys earlier, there has never been a nice time to start. In most countries, bird inhabitants are high, seasons are long, and tags are easy to get. Once you’ve observed a big turkey gobbling his head off while watching your decoys, you’ll never miss a season again.
- FULL SIZE, REAL FEEL, DUAL ACTION - Durable synthetic design and up to 1400 rounds per minute
- FUELED BY (2) 12-GRAM CO2 CARTRIDGES - Delivers speeds up to 430 fps (CO2 cartridges not included)
- ADJUSTABLE STOCK - 6 adjustable positions make the rifle easy to handle and shoulder
- 25-ROUND DROP OUT MAGAZINE - Compatible with traditional 4.5 mm steel BBs (BBs not included)
- REMOVEABLE POP-UP SIGHT AND ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT - To stay on target
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Daniel Radcliffe, Samara Weaving, Rhys Darby (Actors)
- Jason Lei Howden (Director) - Jason Lei Howden (Writer) - Tom Hern (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)