DIY 3D Archery Target: A Beginner’s Guide to 3D Targets
- Erik Himmel
If archery is to meet perfection, you need to do it in real. But, you must prepare yourself for accuracy. Using a 3D target for practicing is somewhat a popular way to develop one’s archery skills. A good one that doesn’t harm your arrows, wear from the core too quickly and require a new purchase may not be an easy pick. A DIY 3D archery target is a fine alternative to the more expensive market options. Psst! Hey, afraid of tackling the job? Don’t worry, I’ll help you!
|1||Black Hole 22 - 4 Sided Archery Target||$59.99||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Field Logic Youth Block GenZ Open Target||$60.98||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Block GenZ XL 20” Youth Archery Arrow Target||$42.71||Buy on Amazon|
I would like you to know a few things about the contemporary 3D targets before you take on the learning curve. These facts will help you determine what to keep in mind while crafting a DIY 3D archery target.
3D Archery Target Facts
The following information is intended for those who want to get a 3D type and be ready for that to take their skills to the next level.
- These objects can be crafted to mimic any kind of animal/beast you prefer shooting in real life.
- Some of these objects come in various overlay options.
- For example, one of those shows you the vitals on the outside so that you know exactly where the arrow would hit.
- An outdoor range is the best place for these objects.
- Middle sections of some of these targets are replaceable when they wear out.
- Experts recommend the use of field points and a thorough setup while going with a 3D model.
- Users of broadhead arrows would want to get/make a different type of target since these arrows can cause the foam core of the target to wear out quickly.
- 【Compact Roof Prism 10x42 Binocular】 10X power magnification and large field of view, specially designed for outdoor activities such as climbing, hiking, driving, watching wildlife and scenery. This power also can be used for watching large stage play, vocal concert, a football game, etc.
- 【HD Superior Optics】 Best 42mm fully multi-layer coatings green film objective lens and 18mm blue film eyepiece, Large smart phrase BAK4 prism, guarantee the key elements of an optical device, make your view brighter, clearer and deliver crisp images.
- 【Durable Framework and Rubber Armor】 Its tight fitting protection makes it usable to withstand the toughest weather conditions. The shock-absorbing rubber armor for maximum protection.
- 【Complete Binocular Accessories】 Comes with Newest Smartphone Mount compatible with Smartphone 11, 11 Pro, Xs, X, 8p, 8, 7p, 7, 6, 6p, Samsung S10/S10p, S9/S9p, S8/S8 Edge, S6/S6 Edge, Note, LG, HTC,Sony, and more. Also comes with Carrying Case, Rubber Lens Covers, Cleaning Cloth, Neck Strap.
- 【Lifetime Warranty And Lifetime Technical Support】 Shop with confidence, you have it covered by Gosky lifetime warranty and a full money-back and replacement guarantee, on all orders to allow you to test the suitability of our product.
DIY 3D Archery Target: A Quick Project for DIYers
Now, you want to learn the steps, and I’ve informed you of what you should know in the first place. Remember you should not rush the job as 2-3 days will be required for the target to be in a perfect shape. So, here you go…
1. Required Supplies
Since you’re making one for long-term uses, a few supplies (affordable and durable) will be required. I hope all of the following items except the foam are already available at your home.
- Matte black featuring a 3 MOA Dot reticle with 11 brightness settings; Mounts easily on most picatinny rails and is compatible with pistols, shotguns, rifles and muzzleloaders
- Waterproof construction: O ring sealed optics stay dry inside, even when totally immersed in water. Parallax - 50
- Shockproof construction: Built to withstand bumps, bangs, drops and the rough and tumble environment of the field
- Nitrogen purged fog proofing: Nitrogen inside the scope ensures interior optical surfaces won’t fog due to humidity or rapid temperature change
- 2 MOA Red-Dot provides 10 illumination settings (8 daylight plus 2 NV) for visibility in all light conditions
- MOTAC (Motion Activated Illumination) powers up when it senses motion and powers down when it does not. Provides for optimum operational safety and enhanced 40,000+ hour battery life
- Integrated M1913 Picatinny interface provides industry-standard mounting options for a wide range of applications
- Dependable waterproof (IPX-7 rated for complete water immersion up to 1 meter) and fog-proof performance
- Includes a M1913 Picatinny low mount riser and a co-witness 1.41in riser mount
- Spray foam (aerosol polyurethane)
- Board: 1 piece measuring 2 x 4/1 ft. long
- Board: 2 pieces measuring 2 x 4/3 ft. long
- Foam-based turkey trap/One-dimensional cardboard
2. Applying Coating to One Side Completely
In this phase, you need to build the primary part of the target. Follow the steps below.
- Put the newspapers one after another unless the pile become several layers and able to serve as a good cover for the target’s flat exterior.
- Place the cardboard and the turkey trap on the layers.
- Now, you need a foam coating that covers an entire side of the target. Use aerosol polyurethane foam to make sure the bulk forms.
- Leave it for 24 hours so that the foam dries properly.
3. Apply the Same Coating on Another Side
It’s time you got prepared for applying the Polyurethane spray foam coating to the remaining side. These are the steps to follow.
- Now is the time to turn the turkey trap right over.
- Use a foam layer using the spray foam, so you can apply a coating to the decoy’s other side.
- Leave it for another 24 hours, so it dries thoroughly.
- I advise some cautions when you’ll work for creating the foam layers. Make sure none of the layers becomes coarse/thick. They have to be thin enough.
4. Checking the Bulk
This phase is about checking the portion of the decoy you already have created.
- An extra foam layer has to be applied to decoy.
- Then, you should wait once again until the trap becomes dry.
- Turn the thing over (not hastily but slowly) to apply some extra foam spray.
- One more instance of waiting for a dry job is required.
You may repeat the above procedure as long as you think the target already has the appropriate amount of mass. However, your preferences are what determine if the target is bulky enough or it requires some more.
- Super Safety Toys: Soft rubber surrounded eyepieces are included for eye protection so children don't hurt their eyes or face. Non-slip scratch, the grip has been ergonomically patented designed to fit the hands of kids.
- Professional Real Binoculars: Easy to focus, the leaves of a tree 122ft/1000 yards away came into sharp focus. The compact binocular can be adjusted by turning the center knob to easily match the eye distance gap for each child.
- Crystal Clear View: Superb high-resolution maginifcation of 8X with the 7.2°viewing angle, your child can see the entire visual wide field for capturing objects easily. The BAK 4 FMC prism green multi-layer broadband coated can control optical reflection to create crisp and colorful images.
- Shock Proof: Soft rubber surrounded provides better protection of the lens during falls. Durable polycarbonate plastic and rubber armored exterior can withstand absorbs shock when drops or falls on floors.
- Explore Nature World: Easy to Use, Suitable for boys and girls to bird watching, learning, star watching, hunting, sports competitions, theater, boating, hiking, learning, travel, outdoor fun and enjoying the wilderness.
- Super Safety: Soft rubber surrounded eyepieces are included for eye protection so children don't hurt their eyes or face. There is extra coating surrounding the eyepieces compared to other brands and provides better protection of the lens during falls.
- Advanced Design: Non-slip scratch, the grip has been ergonomically patented designed to fit the hands of children. It is easy to focus, and they can adjust to adult eyes just as well as kid-sized eyes. The leaves of a tree 100 yards away came into sharp focus.
- Shock Proof: Durable binoculars that can withstand drops and falls on floors due to rubber coating that absorbs shock. If accidentally dropped on the ground, the binoculars are protected from damage with shock proof rubber armor. Other brands do not have this safety feature!
- Crystal Clear View: The FMC prism green coated optics system can control optical reflection to create crisp and colorful images. The product ensures the user can see the entire visual field for capturing objects easily with 7.2° viewing angle. Multi-layer broadband coating technology, make you see the scene more realistic.
- Real Binoculars for Kids: This product has a superb maginifcation of 10X with an amazing view. The binoculars can be adjusted to easily match the eye distance gap for each child. Great for bird watching, learning, hunting, theaters, boat rides, hiking, traveling and enjoying the wilderness!
5. Making the Stand
A stand is what allows your target to remain in a position you want or require to practice archery.
- Take the two board pieces and place them, so they stay parallel to each another. This way, you’ll make a stand.
- Now, take the one-piece board foot-long board (2 x 4/1 ft.) on top of the two boards laid a few moments ago. Place the three pieces, so they form an “H” shape.
- Use your drill and screws to make sure the boards stay fastened and positioned properly.
6. Joining the Decoy with the Stand
Following the same way using your drill and screws (as you did for the boards) to fasten the 3D target.
- Place it in the middle of the stand (the decoy should be in the shape’s middle).
- Check if the target stays straight up.
- Also, check that the target remains steady as you start releasing arrows through it.
You’re Done! But, Keep These in Mind…
- You may use boards with higher length if you need your target to remain in a higher position.
- Apply foam spray as long as it takes the target to be able to stop the speedy arrows from piercing through or prevent any damage of the arrows.
- Don’t start shooting unless the foam coating gets dried thoroughly.
Congratulations! You’ve just learned how to make 3D archery targets. Go, start shooting at your new found DIY 3D archery target. By the way, don’t forget to shoot me a message if you think you want to share similar projects or need some more advice.